Hawk!

Joken

Songster
May 11, 2020
Our Chickens have the run of our property during the day. There is a lot of cover for the birds around the place as well as open pasture and areas around fruit trees, grapes, and the vegetable gardens. The Chickens spend most of their time under trees or other areas where they can't be seen from the air. I turned into our driveway today and the Chickens were right there having fun under a row of grapes. They like grapes. I herded them back to up to the garden near their coop and gave them a small treat. Shortly there after my wife cam out and asked where the Chickens were. We walked down to the grapes and they were there again. We were walking them back to the coop when a large Redtailed Hawk swooped down about 25 yards ahead of us and came about a foot from getting a big fat hen. I guess they will have to be out only when supervised now. Their run is 8x18 and secure but I hate to keep them in there all the time because they really like being out. Every morning when I go to let them out, they are all piled up by the gate anxious to get out. I'll have to find out if I can legally kill the Hawk as much as I hate to.

I only really have my hens out when supervised because the hawks are so bad where I live currently. Haven’t lost any but my neighbors have. Getting out of normal enclosures does make chickens happy.

Screenshot_20200922-221624_DuckDuckGo.jpg

im in a suburban subdivision with tons of houses and activity, and i don't let my small dogs out because of the hawks. I've had them land in my backyard to grab small wild birds from the feeders! So just sympathizing... they're everywhere.

Back
Top Bottom