hawks and other birds of prey

dehowery

Chirping
Feb 13, 2017
alabama
After the hawk took my husbands favorite chook we tried the technique of hanging discs from ropes strung in different places through out the yard. Our yard looks kind of strange with all the discs twirling and dangling from the ropes (BUT KNOCK ON WOOD) we haven't had another attack since they went up . Since they are in the backyard it is hard to see them from the front of the house so the neighbors haven't said anything to us. We think (hope) we may have won this last round of chicken extermination from the sky battle.
hawk keep away.jpg

I’ve heard that having owl statues will scare hawks away, I had hawks nest near my coop a month ago (hawk pictured on my profile picture is their fledgling.) I hope you don’t have another loss in your flock and I’m sorry about the one that was taken!

No owl statues will not keep them from your flock. There was another thread about 2 months ago with a picture of a hawk sitting on a owl figurine looking down at the flock of chickens. So I wouldn't count on the owl idea.

After the hawk took my husbands favorite chook we tried the technique of hanging discs from ropes strung in different places through out the yard. Our yard looks kind of strange with all the discs twirling and dangling from the ropes (BUT KNOCK ON WOOD) we haven't had another attack since they went up . Since they are in the backyard it is hard to see them from the front of the house so the neighbors haven't said anything to us. We think (hope) we may have won this last round of chicken extermination from the sky battle. View attachment 1821960
Awww...it's always the favorite one, isn't it? So sorry that happened! I wonder how the4 discs work? Good on you, though! Please keep us posted if this method continues to work, or if it stops working. (Hope not!!)

Back
Top Bottom