hawks and other birds of prey

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by dehowery, Jun 22, 2019.

1. dehowery

dehowery Chirping

Feb 13, 2017
    alabama
    After the hawk took my husbands favorite chook we tried the technique of hanging discs from ropes strung in different places through out the yard. Our yard looks kind of strange with all the discs twirling and dangling from the ropes (BUT KNOCK ON WOOD) we haven't had another attack since they went up . Since they are in the backyard it is hard to see them from the front of the house so the neighbors haven't said anything to us. We think (hope) we may have won this last round of chicken extermination from the sky battle. hawk keep away.jpg

Eggscaping likes this.
  2. Fishsticks06

Fishsticks06 Chirping

Jun 1, 2019
    Western North Carolina.
    I’ve heard that having owl statues will scare hawks away, I had hawks nest near my coop a month ago (hawk pictured on my profile picture is their fledgling.) I hope you don’t have another loss in your flock and I’m sorry about the one that was taken!

Eggscaping likes this.
  3. dehowery

dehowery Chirping

Feb 13, 2017
    alabama
    No owl statues will not keep them from your flock. There was another thread about 2 months ago with a picture of a hawk sitting on a owl figurine looking down at the flock of chickens. So I wouldn't count on the owl idea.

4. Eggscaping

Eggscaping Enjoying Life!

Dec 4, 2018
    Portland, Oregon
    Awww...it's always the favorite one, isn't it? So sorry that happened! I wonder how the4 discs work? Good on you, though! Please keep us posted if this method continues to work, or if it stops working. (Hope not!!)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: