Hawks, any methods to keep them at bay?

If that works for you, great - it's just not a viable solution for most of us.

If the OP was able to net his property, we wouldn't be talking about hawk protection.
Just to clarify...I don't net my whole property, as that is not feasible...but I have found that strategic netting and strategic placement of streamers has been a very effective deterrent for hawks and birds in general.

Good luck to the OP, I do hope you find the right solution for your flock situation.
LofMc

When someone here figures out a way to attract breeding crows I would like to see the procedure. From what I have seen it takes land management covering more than the 20 acres I have to do it.

Use a scarecrow! I think that if you will billed a good scarecrow or use a mannequin, dressed up like a man whit something flapping in his hand (a plastic bag?) and frequently place changed, it will keep them away!
You can also use old C.Ds hanging by a thread, and placed in the area were the chickens is roaming.

Last edited:
Hi I'm sorry about your loss (dog and Carly) and just wanted to put it out here that I was watching something on PBS about foiling birds of prey by painting them ... purple and pink :) It was ways of encouraging people to use more natural land management techniques lol! Purple and pink are colors the birds of prey don't see so the arieal predator is not dining on your birds. Also TSC has some deer netting for a generous amount it's about $20 now it wont stop them it's not strong enough but with streamers (in my case the hay bailing twine gets reused) cut to fly in the wind along with some CD's, pinwheels, have so far helped to deter them. It also I hope will give them time to go into the coop or woods. Oh and we have a big owl statue to help deter them all. Good fortune to you your birds and future dog?!

Following this thread. I think I have been losing my birds to aerial predators. I'm not exactly sure how to tell if it is nor not, except that one day the hawk was actually stuck IN my coop. (getting him out without ringing his neck took all of my effort!) I'm not exactly sure what to do except leave them penned up until I can get a tractor going. Its hard to balance wanting to let them free range and managing a flock for frequent losses. I started with 16 last May and I have lost 5-6 to unknown predators that I'm assuming are birds. So far the fake owl that I put out with a moving head hasn't done much. I have some chicks growing that I"m hoping will grow to at least 2 roosters. Looking into getting a dog. but man, the losses in the mean time are sad and maddening!

I inadvertently attracted crows but rarely see a hawk. If I do see a hawk it's while the crows are sitting on eggs. The crows are a nuisance and steal alot of eggs. No matter where I move a nest to for the chickens, they find a way to get to it.
And get big chickens

Also, since I'm also looking to buy some more chicks, I ran across this special of the week at Cackle Hatchery- "Free Range/Predator Resistant chickens" . never heard of it. anyone know what thats about?

gig.gif
Doesn't say what that breed of chicken is, does it? Predator resistant...that's a new term I've never heard. Just when you think you've heard it all! They must have a full time marketing team working night and day to come up with things like that.
lol.png

Glad this thread is here. I've been discussing with my neighbor about this very issue. They gave up on chickens because of the predator situation. If it wasn't areal, there was a fox hanging round. I have a 'predator proofing' plan in place for when we build the coop and run this weekend but I will now be adding the Cds as well. We chose BOs because they are a larger breed. We assumed that a chicken that size might be less appealing to hawks but I'm guessing that was a silly assumption? We also have Coyotes that roam the area and have been known to get pretty close to our house.

Back
Top Bottom