Hawks, any methods to keep them at bay?

The ChickenKing

Songster
5 Years
Jun 24, 2014
NY
When the chickens were first allowed out, there had been no problems with hawks because of our Bernese Mountain Dogs tendency to follow the chickens around the yard. But when he passed in august, the hawks started checking out the girls, even going after them a few times. Luckily, our rooster always saw them coming and would herd the girls to safety. He even fought the hawks directly sometimes! But since then, he is no longer with us. So now with my girls unprotected, I ask if there is anything I can do to keep away the hawks?

I keep bottle rockets by the back door and shoot a couple off in their direction when I see them. No way could I hit them, but the noise is enough to get them to move on. Do this often enough and they will seek other place to hunt. It has worked pretty good for me so far. Illegal to shoot a bird of prey, FEDERAL law prohibits it.

You can put up a pole in the middle of your yard where the chickens are most vulnerable and string clothes line that radiate around to other poles or trees. Attach flashy CDs or material to distract the hawks. Hawks are very good at maneuvering, but they don't like to get hurt in the process of swooping around. Hope you find something that will help you.

Thanks for your suggestions, bottle rockets actually sound kinda fun! I've also heard that crows seem to deter hawks. Any input on this?

Yes, crows don't care for hawks and will gang up on hawks when they stray into their territory, however crows are notorious for raiding other birds' nest for eggs and baby chicks. Hummingbird and Mocking birds also go after hawks, but they are harder to train.
wink.png

Yes, crows don't care for hawks and will gang up on hawks when they stray into their territory, however crows are notorious for raiding other birds' nest for eggs and baby chicks. Hummingbird and Mocking birds also go after hawks, but they are harder to train.;)
Awesome! I think I'll try with crows as ive seen a few by me. I don't think they should be a problem since my girls are all around the same size as them. :)

Wish you the best! I too have six hens, two of which are Black Australorps. They kinda look like a crow and I guess that was one of the reason they are a successful breed. We are always out with our chickens and when we hear a hawk they get quickly put back into the protected run.

Wish you the best! I too have six hens, two of which are Black Australorps. They kinda look like a crow and I guess that was one of the reason they are a successful breed. We are always out with our chickens and when we hear a hawk they get quickly put back into the protected run. 
I also have two Austrolorps! I usually just stand by them and watch thr hawk fly away. Yes, that would make sense. :D

Thanks for your suggestions, bottle rockets actually sound kinda fun! I've also heard that crows seem to deter hawks. Any input on this?

We have a large crow family that generally keeps the hawks moving along, but this week I haven't seen them. They do prey on other birds, but it seems minimal and worth it to me and my chickens.

A more natural method of pest control.

Back
Top Bottom