hawks everywhere!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by birdbrain5, Mar 2, 2011.

1. birdbrain5

birdbrain5 Songster

Aug 2, 2010
    we have real open field here, and always saw hawks. i used to wait to let me chickens out until 3pm or after, seemed to be when the hawks went home for the night. the past week or two its been ridiculous, they are everywhere! so many of them! is there a reason they would suddenly be around so much? even until dusk.. my chickens arent that new here, been here for a year now so its not like they just realized i had them. im affraid to free range now! i know theres always risk but i feel like im asking for it. is there any way to make them go away? i know how people put a owl statue to keep barn birds away, anything to do for hawks?

2. mediazeal

mediazeal Songster

Feb 26, 2009
    Quote:Yes
    I have found that the hawks are more numerous and hungrier in the spring when they are laying eggs etc.
    I lost one a week or so ago to a hawk and my girls are now penned in. No free ranging except the last hour or light with me there
    and I'll build them a bigger covered playpen as the weekends go by.
    I expect to not have this trouble for most of the year starting sometime this summer
    every spring, too many hawks around my chickens
    good luck with yours

3. birdbrain5

birdbrain5 Songster

Aug 2, 2010
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

o boy, well i guess i will keep them in. they are out now but after today no more til i notice less hawks. that pic is of one spot, there was another with just as many. they are big but more wing span than body, so they will still grab the chickens tho?

Last edited: Mar 2, 2011
  4. SLWyandotte

SLWyandotte Chirping

Feb 23, 2011
    Chatom, Alabama
    you sure those are hawks and not buzzards. there are a few illegal ways to deal with hawks...... but if you get caught hope you have deep pockets.... or are friends with the judge.

5. maitia17960

maitia17960 In the Brooder

Aug 15, 2009
    Schuylkill County, Pa
    Looks like buzzards to me. I am seeing a lot of buzzards around the farm now. Hawk Mountain is just south of my house. You can see our fields from the North Look Out. The last week or so I have been seeing the buzzards around so I think they are starting to migrate.

6. Lbrad7

Lbrad7 Songster

May 19, 2010
    Ringgold, GA
    I gotta say that those look like buzzards to me as well. You might want to get some binoculars to get a better look. May not have anything to worry about at all.

7. BrattishTaz

BrattishTaz Roo Magnet

Jan 8, 2011
    Tampa Area, Florida
    Where do you live? They look like the "hawks" in my area. I thought they were black vultures for a long time but the heads are different. Doesn't matter what they are, they have taken my chickens. I even had to save a small dog from them. [​IMG]

8. ColbyNTX

ColbyNTX Songster

May 2, 2009
    Woods, TX
    Looks like buzzards! I have never seen that many hawks togather. Not saying it couldn't happen but it looks like buzzards to me by the color and the shape of their wings in flight.

9. terrilhb

terrilhb Songster

Dec 11, 2010
    Georgia
    Looks like buzzards to me too. They fly all over here.

10. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    Turkey vultures based on the wing set and wing tip appearance.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: