Hawks, hawks everywhere.

Get rid of something now...or the hawks will do it for you. You need to cull down. Won't cost you more fencing, save on feed bill, and allow you to protect what you keep.

The roosters or the chicks you plan on selling, or the mamma and chicks. Something needs to go.

I think the reason the hawks are congregating, is that they are scoping out some easy meals.

ps...should have read farther - glad it worked out.

Mrs K

Hawks are congregating for reasons likely not related to chickens. Hawk species not even indicated so this could all be an unneccesary diversion. Hawk species ID?

Hawks could be there for food such as rodents or they may be waiting for thermal or favorable wind.

Hawks are congregating for reasons likely not related to chickens. Hawk species not even indicated so this could all be an unneccesary diversion. Hawk species ID?

Hawks could be there for food such as rodents or they may be waiting for thermal or favorable wind.
Apparently they are getting ready to migrate.

Rest stops are essential for migrations. There characteristics desired in rest stops as they typically provide a resource needed to continue trip.
Yesterday a bunch of people put hay down. . . Either chopping up a bunch of rodents or leaving them with no shelter.
The hawks had a FIELD DAY.
And today. . . I don't see a single one!

I'm dealing with hawks and owls, I've seen and heard Red tailed and Cooper's for weeks, and owls have been preying on my chickens, one even swooped down and attempted to get away with a free meal; thankfully he didn't catch anyone.

I know how you feel... Last Sunday we had a LOT of hawks(?) flying overhead. A couple came down way too close and I put everyone back in the barn. The chicks (10wks old) were already headed in before I saw the hawks but the hens didn't. Then I puttered around outside doing odd chores... I looked up and saw at least 20-25 birds circling way up high. They split up and went away except for the few that were there earlier. I've seen one or two at a time around here before but very rare and never see the numbers I saw that day. I didn't know they migrate, so that makes me feel a little better. After a few hours, I didn't see them anywhere, the wild songbirds came out of hiding and activity was like normal and I let the girls and chicks back out.

Good luck with your groups.

Back
Top Bottom