Hawks? How do I protect girls?

I read that white chickens are least likely to survive, especially from aerial predators. Seems the darker shades have a better survival rate, being harder to see. CD's and criss-crossed strings/twine seem to have some successes, but not foolproof. For free ranging, no real protection except what cover is there for them to duck under. Even so, hawks have been seen to land and walk in or under something to kill, especially chicks.

caf.gif

we covered the run totaly in deer netting. then had a pair of redtail raise a baby in a tree not 100 feet away from the coop. didnt lose a single chicken. but the hawks sure sat on the roof and gave them the eye.

I have a coopers hawk that sits in my tree and preys on the pigeons that are on my phone line. I have gone right up to the tree and tried to shoo it away and the hawk could care less. I am getting my chickens next month and have just decided to build a chicken tractor so that they can still eat grass, bugs,ect. but be safe. Then go back to their coop in the evening. I would love to have them free range, but not enough to loose any of them.

A covered lot is the only full proof way to keep the flock safe. I have 8 RSL & 2 RIR roos that I have keep sheltered in a covered chain link lot wrapped with chicken wire & a tarp on top for shade & extra shelter. I have not lost one (knock wood) to any of the preditors in the area. I have hawks, racoons, weasels, fox & my own dog that I have to keep an eye on or put up when I let the chicks free range (under a watchful eye). I have neighbors who have less 'security' than I & they have lost several of their flock. I just couldn't stand for anything to happen to any of mine, I just love them all!
The first version of my coop & lot is posted on my BYC blog page. I will have to get a recent photo to post as I have added more height to the covered lot since the current photo.

owned by 2 dogs, 8 RSL's & 2 RIR roo's
living with a terrific man in a modern log home on 6 lovely acres in Spotsylvania, Virginia
Lovin life!!

Our friend bammachicken lost a very nice hen to a hawk this week. In the thread I read, and agree, ALL predators are extra hungry right now, and IF you free range be out there to keep an eye out for them. Even then I heard on the radio here in INDY last summer, a lady was walking her Yorkshire terrier on one of those retractable leashes and a HUGE RED TAIL Hawk swooped down and snatched up the Yorkie. The only thing that save him was the leash. And this lady said she played tug of war for a few secs before the bird dropped her dog. The dog wound up being okay. Everyone here was surprised how aggressive that biird was. So, keep an Eagle out when you let them free range

Quote:
Lock & Load the old shotgun!

Don't admit to using it.

lol.png
:lol:Right on, but just give me a chance at a hawk, I'm from the old school.

As I mentioned earlier, for us, the CDs have worked. The only hawk attacks we have had since putting them up have been while they are free ranging on the acreage. No losses yet. No attacks beneath the area where CDs are hanging; foolproof, no, but so far an effective deterrent. The only thing I can attribute it to as the hawks were interested in them in that same area before the CDs.

But a covered run is the only thing that might be considered foolproof (if there is such a thing). Put up what deterrents you can as they are not expensive and just keep on going. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom