Hawks: Large chicken run to cover a coop on stilts?

Lunesse

Chirping
May 2, 2020
Hey all,

I just discovered a Cooper's hawk that has set their sights on my 10 girls. They have a covered run but its too small for them (again, inherited) and they are used to free-ranging. Three are missing and may be dead already. 😢 I'm looking for a 10x10 coop but it needs to be at least 8 ft tall. I inherited a coop from the former owners of my home, and they have a coop (a Chick-Inn) that they put on stilts making it 8 ft high. I need to get a large run I can build around the coop but I'm seeing mostly 6.5 ft high. I don't really have expertise to build from scratch- plus need really need it right away. Does anyone know one this tall or have any suggestions? I'm worried sick.

I got this because we have a protected Peregrine Falcon nesting area less than 2 miles away (as the Falcon flies). It is almost 8' tall at the peak -- 6 feet at the top of the door. It is sold as a kit on Ebay. I put a link below the photo.
IMG_4914.JPG

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Chicken-Ru...var=602768948070&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

I would certainly like to learn how to build one. Maybe I should get over it and try.
I have never built anything before in my life but am going to be building (with help) a brand new coop and run for my ladies, as
A) their current coop/run setup is TINY
B) I'd like to get more chicks in the spring
I think that with enough determination and a ladder, you'd be fine to build a run if the need arises.

When I had hawk issues I got 8 2x4's 8ft tall put bird net on top put it over where my flock free ranged the hawks got so annoyed they couldn't get to them they left. Can't wait to see what you accomplish you have to post pic's and welcome to BYC

There is so much you could do with what you have! Grab a post hold digger and some twine and concrete mix with some 6-8 ft tall 4x4s and bury them 2ft down and use the twine to keep them in line and straight. Run it to your current run and connect them. Drop some cloth wire or cinder blocks like what you currently have in the ground to prevent critters digging in and then run some netting around it. Make it small enough you could use a tarp for the roof in a tent fashion. Or use some netting also.

Lots of people use a cattle panel hoop house for their birds. But I did not have a good way to get cattle panels here. This looks nicer, it is visible from the street in our in town location, but I am making a smaller hoop style house out of conduit. It will be 6 x 10 and have some growing birds. And tomatoes in the fall!
IMG_0220 text.jpg

Try posting in your state thread to see if there's anyone near you. I'm sorry I can't be of more help! I know that runs are much easier to build than coops. Basically just cubes with support beams. You could probably do one yourself or with some help and a ladder.

Back
Top Bottom