Metal covered chicken pen - which one?

WendyinKY

In the Brooder
May 10, 2020
I need a covered run for my 10 hens. I'm a single woman and can't build a pen, so I'm looking at the "assemble yourself" metal runs. I need a covered run, due to hawks. It doesn't need to be predator-proof, because I lock them in the coop at dusk and nothing can get in it. I also want one tall enough to walk in, at least in the center (peak). What brand would you recommend? And size? I want them to have plenty of room. Thanks everyone! (Photo is what I'm looking for)

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-12-17 at 8.21.51 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-12-17 at 8.21.51 AM.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 29
That looks similar to what I have. My husband put up the original run, I did the addition.

Very important: you need something stronger than chicken wire for the sides. Chicken wire keeps chickens in, but will not keep predators out.

I have a heavy duty tarp (the black/silver one that TSC sells) as a roof over half of my run. It's going into its third Michigan winter. I use zip ties through the grommeted holes to attach it to the fence. It doesn't flap around, so the wind doesn't beat it up.

That looks similar to what I have. My husband put up the original run, I did the addition.

Very important: you need something stronger than chicken wire for the sides. Chicken wire keeps chickens in, but will not keep predators out.

I have a heavy duty tarp (the black/silver one that TSC sells) as a roof over half of my run. It's going into its third Michigan winter. I use zip ties through the grommeted holes to attach it to the fence. It doesn't flap around, so the wind doesn't beat it up.
Good idea on the tarp!

I have one of those in a 10’x20’ size and it would be plenty of room for 10 hens, but of course bigger is better for their quality of life. Mine was from the seller wusmall on EBay but many sellers have essentially the same thing.

If it doesn’t need to be predator poof though, I much prefer a carport with wire fence around it. I bought a tarp covered carport (10’x20’) and unrolled a roll of 6’ - 2”x4” welded wire fence around it and attached it with zip ties. It was easier to assemble than the chicken pen and the roof is taller too. The fence doesn’t reach all the way to the roof so it’s definitely not predator proof but the hawks haven’t tried to get in. The only downside is that you’d have to make some sort of door or gate. I actually attached mine to the chicken pen so it’s kind of a hodge podge.

Back
Top Bottom