Hawks: Large chicken run to cover a coop on stilts?

Try posting in your state thread to see if there's anyone near you. I'm sorry I can't be of more help! I know that runs are much easier to build than coops. Basically just cubes with support beams. You could probably do one yourself or with some help and a ladder.
I would certainly like to learn how to build one. Maybe I should get over it and try.

Thank you all so much for the help! BYC is such an awesome community! I'll have to let you know what I did when it get it all settled. 😄

I would certainly like to learn how to build one. Maybe I should get over it and try.
I have never built anything before in my life but am going to be building (with help) a brand new coop and run for my ladies, as
A) their current coop/run setup is TINY
B) I'd like to get more chicks in the spring
I think that with enough determination and a ladder, you'd be fine to build a run if the need arises.

Yeah, I planned to tear down the small run if I got a cage. Just build it around the coop :D
The cage is the coop. Roost bar, tarp roof over bird net if I wanted to remove the tarp. I have the dog kennel brooder in there and most fly up to the roost at night now.

I have never built anything before in my life but am going to be building (with help) a brand new coop and run for my ladies, as
A) their current coop/run setup is TINY
B) I'd like to get more chicks in the spring
I think that with enough determination and a ladder, you'd be fine to build a run if the need arises.
You couldn't be more correct about the size. This was a great catalyst to get this moving. This was why they were being free-ranged. Besides, I knew it was healthier. I need to make a compromise now and do both.

The cage is the coop. Roost bar, tarp roof over bird net if I wanted to remove the tarp. I have the dog kennel brooder in there and most fly up to the roost at night now.
Geez, right! I can always get nesting boxes for outside the coop as well. You all rock!

Back
Top Bottom