Hawks, Netting, Miracles, and the Missing.

Pics
This is all very interesting. We're going to have a coop and run in one built in our backyard in the next few weeks. I feel like it should be fairly predator proof - hardware cloth not chicken wire, etc, and we're going to put the fencing apron around the bottom to stop diggers. But I want them to be able to come out into the rest of the backyard, too. My daughter thinks they're going to love perching on the old wooden play structure from when she was smaller. This whole thread has me pondering just trying to cover the backyard with poultry netting - attach it to the fences and the house, drape it over the play structure and the coop - might need to put up a couple of poles on one side of the yard. Then I see the mention of shade cloth - and I'm thinking oooo, that could both block hawks and a lot of heat. We're in Texas, summers here are killer. I wonder if I could get away with just covering the whole back yard with shade cloth? Ought to help keep the living room and kitchen a little cooler. The house already has the special dark hard-to-see-though screens to keep a bit of heat out. Has anybody done something like that?

I'm sure if you have a smaller yard it would be similar to having an enclosed porch or pool area. I don't see why it wouldn't work!

Back
Top Bottom