Hawks

Earlier this summer I would hear a bird that sounded like a hawk and I would run out, ready to flush my birds from their run back to their coop - only to see that it wasn't a raptor but some kind of song bird. A jay, maybe? I don't see well but it had a longish tail, and was small, not like a red-tail anyway. Does anyone know if jays or other harmless birds call like this to warn of a raptor? It would call and call untill I came out and then fly away.

Blue jays frequently mimic red tail hawks.

Choot’em, if they don’t get your chickens they will get mine.

Choot a blue jay??? :eek: I could never! Couldn't choot a hawk, needer, even if 'twere legal, which 'taint. No firearms here. These are God's chickens, and if He wants to feed one to one of His hawks, I reckon that's okay with me. I still try to be a good steward over them, though.

Thanks. Could these little raptors be a danger to my EEs?
I have personally witnessed a sharp shinned hawk kill a medium sized game hen. It did this by having its talons impaled in the hens breast and flipping backwards to rip the breast open. Although sad for the hen, it was quite amazing to see.

I have personally witnessed a sharp shinned hawk kill a medium sized game hen. It did this by having its talons impaled in the hens breast and flipping backwards to rip the breast open. Although sad for the hen, it was quite amazing to see.

Interesting. I have EEs and BLs. And I have not actually seen small raptors around, just the RTH that one time. It came back after it successfully carried one off - which we determined had happened by circumstantial evidence.

I had a similar thing happen. I had a Sharp Shinned hawk that practically landed on me in my blueberry patch. One of the birds (a Rhode Island White) was in there with me and it killed her. It happened so fast.

Back
Top Bottom