Hawks!

That is scary. I have only dealt with little hawks. I chased it off by 1) hurling an egg at it (it's what I had in my hand at the time) and 2) running it off with the hose. You can't kill it - against the law. But maybe after a few weeks, it will move on. I don't know that I'd ever feel safe letting them out after what you've described!!! Yikes!!!

Keep all your bird locked in for at least two weeks, or longer, until this bird gives up and leaves. Don't think you can protect your chickens by being out there with them!
Having a couple of pieces of plywood or something to help block his view, and let your birds not see him either, will help at least keep your chickens less upset.
Mary

Keep all your bird locked in for at least two weeks, or longer, until this bird gives up and leaves. Don't think you can protect your chickens by being out there with them!
Having a couple of pieces of plywood or something to help block his view, and let your birds not see him either, will help at least keep your chickens less upset.
Mary
Thank you. Yes I will do this and not let them out. I more than learned my lesson after today’s debacle. We only have 12 chickens and they are my children’s pets. I told them for now they will have to go into the secured run with them to hang out and hold them. After them being outside and witnessing this they understand. Ahh what a close encounter.

You are going to have to shut them up for awhile until the eagle moves off for easier picken's. I had a Red Tail a few months ago find a gap in the netting that covers the pens where some zip ties deteriorated and fell off and hence the gap. First I saw the hawk at the far end of the pen with bodies scattered around. I did get the hawk out and retrieved the bodies. I was at a DR appt and errands at the time and heard the most unusual fussing and then saw the hawk. Since I have replaced all the zip ties with metal hog rings to hold the sections of netting together. They weren't far from starting to lay. A few of the bodies I first pulled out of the pen.View attachment 2294975
Oh I am so sorry this has happened. Absolutely terrible. ♥️

I apologize for the poor quality, but this is a screen shot I took from a video when I happened to see it catch the squirrel. I believe this is the one that keeps coming back daily but I am not 100 percent sure.
Hawk is immature Red-tailed Hawk. They can become habituated to humans so as to allow close approach. Silkies are not a good breed to free-range with any predators about. I would free-range silkies only with a guard dog or me standing over them.

I've NEVER seen a hawk that large with that wide of a wingspan. And we live in red tail breeding grounds. It looks like a young eagle. Do you live near the ocean? Next time ur out for a drive, look up in the high trees. If you see a bunch of sticks in the crevice of some branches, well, there's your answer.

I've NEVER seen a hawk that large with that wide of a wingspan. And we live in red tail breeding grounds. It looks like a young eagle. Do you live near the ocean? Next time ur out for a drive, look up in the high trees. If you see a bunch of sticks in the crevice of some branches, well, there's your answer.
We live 3.5 miles to the closest beach. If this thing comes back tomorrow as I’m assuming it will I will try to get a good picture.

Back
Top Bottom