Hawks...

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by ALRwild, Dec 19, 2011.

1. ALRwild

ALRwild Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2010
    Idaho
    My chickens live a good part of their day inside their run, so we (being my family and I) decided to put up a fence so they can roam around. The only problem is that we have quite a few predators by our house. Right now we have really been having problems with hawks and other birds of prey. I was wondering if you knew of a way to protect my chickens from arial attacks while they are in the new fence. It is about a 3/4 of an acre and a portion of it is covered with trees.

Note: Help with any other predators is also appreciated. There are lots of coyotes, foxes, DOGS, and a couple badgers (they come and go) near our house.

Thank you!!!!!

2. Sjisty

Sjisty Scribe of Brahmalot

May 18, 2009
    Brooksville
    The only way to protect them totally is with a covered run. With anything open you take your chances.

3. harveyhorses

harveyhorses Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2010
    If the new area is fenced, add electric fencing to it. most dogs don't like to come back to that. It wont harm them just hurts a LOT.
    For the hawks, I'd try cover bushes, something they can fit under and get to fast. Or a picnic table,

4. ALRwild

ALRwild Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2010
    Idaho
    Thank you for your help. We have a lot of bushes in the area, but I will try to stay outside with them or at least check on them often whenever they are in the fenced area.

5. kajudu

kajudu New Egg

Jun 19, 2009
    I just lost a New Hampshire Red yesterday. My 3 hens free range most days. The ladies were very hawk aware and would sound the alarm and run to the bushes whenever they saw one. The hawk actually attacked in the bushes. You can see the pile of feathers and blood from the kill at least a foot into the shrub line. It wasn't large enough to carry it away, but stayed within 2 feet of the house and back porch to finish chowing down. My son responded to the ruckus and chased the hawk away. Clucky didn't have any flesh left on her neck so my son had to put her out of her misery. [​IMG] I never thought a hawk would be that brazen and will have to change my chickens' daily routine.

6. Blondiechic

Blondiechic Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2012
    I am shocked! I didn't know Hawks took chickens (ignorance on my part). Having read a few posts on here I was wondering about the Silkies but they are enclosed outside their sleeping quarters - I am guessing I need to put wire over the top of their outside area now too?

I didn't know they would take chickens though - will my dogs be a deterrent for them I have three? I was just on the phone in my office and a hawk flew past so I ran outside - my big girls were under my office and went under the deck but now I am wondering if they ought to have a much smaller free range area - I have lost the odd girl when I have been away and someone else has looked after them...the dogs haven't been here then either.

Most upsetting, I love having the girls run over from the stables and hang out in the garden, not to mention the eating of ticks and protecting my dogs - are the Hawks seasonal?!

Are the Hawks more likely to try for my girls or the little sparrows and fairy wrens I have everywhere? Or maybe the bloody rats...that would be handy...

So sorry to hear about your girl. Very distressing.

7. trailchick

trailchick Chillin' With My Peeps

We live on the high plains where there is a great migration path for
    hawks - but havent really had a problem with them, yet....
    They do mostly hunt in the fields for mice & voles.

About a month ago, I did see a Kestral that caught a smaller finch
    or junco that was at the wild bird feeding station, &
    it promptly feasted on it. Such is nature's way.

And I did see a turkey vulture, one day about a year ago,
    perched on our coop, trying to peer into the venting window!!!
    Never bothered anything, but was amazing to see him there.
    Wish I had been able to take a pic.

Roosters & dogs do help deter predation of the birds.

8. magnolia-1971

magnolia-1971 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    SE Wisconsin
    I have read on here that the hawks are migrating this time of year and you may see a lot more than normal. I have heard 4 and more. [​IMG]
    Also, I have read that there are things you can do to keep them away. This is not as good as a covered run, but you can run fishing line over the area they are at the most or hang old CD's to flash light in the sun. It sounds like your dogs are helping?

[​IMG]

9. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    Covered and secure run is your best bet.

I usually stayed out with my hens.One time I went to close the gate by the house,and during that 1-2 mniutes a hawk attacked.Must have been watching and waiting for me to move away. The bird netting was loose and as the hawk came down to the ground so did the netting,and this is what protected the hens. I have a roo now,but ofcourse his big mouth won't stop a hawk.Poor thing is smaller too.Those hawks are fiecre looking. I did fishing line in the back too.

I wish mine left for the winter. Unfortunately my home and the neighboring ones are its territory,and during the winter attacks just get worse. I think I have a mated pair to boot.

10. Blondiechic

Blondiechic Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2012
    I am not sure if ours is a permanent resident here as we live near the ocean and the bush - I will have to research and find out more about them now.
    My dogs weren't actually doing anything productive except eating a bone each in the garden, but I just have to tell you all that when I marched out there this afternoon (after reading this thread) armed with cd's which are now dangling about the place - back garden, silkies home and between our garden and the stables... my husbands face was not wearing a look of joy!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by