Hawks....

7LFarm
I've spent a couple hours trying to figure this one out, guess I have to ask. What's good on the half shell? Besides oysters,which I don't think we are talking about here. I've never heard of anyone eating redfish eggs, or any of our other local fish eggs....but still, those wouldn't be on the half shall,anyway, lol!
Byw, while I respect the advocacy and lobbying efforts of volunteer GCCA aka CCA, toward influencing legislation in government, but it is Texas Parks and Wildlife Department (TPWD) that is actually our regulatory department that performs such things as fish and wild life management, implements programs, etc.
Texas Fish & Wildlife is a private business that publishes the largest magazine and information source website related to Fish and Wildlife herein Texas,and has nothing to do with regulating or implementing policies or laws.

The big reds...who would want to clean them? Most that catch them do! They are the most coveted catch by most surf-side/Gulf anglers along the Texas coast. Pull in a big Red on a peir, jetty, or close in Gulf boat= you're an instant celebrity! I don't personally care that much for eating them myself, or even the smaller red, the school reds or rat reds, as sometimes called, but a lot of people do! I had to tag a big red last year, it had swallowed the hook to deep to release, and nearly started a riot when I offerred to give it to someone that would like to have it to eat!

My 2011 "tag" Red that nearly started the riot...

The bull reds are the ones that have the most eggs & should be thrown back they don't eat well & who would want to clean them anyway. I don't really care for them anyway their good on the half shell . I was simply stating that they change laws but never go back & amend the laws.The red fish have recovered. Great job done mainly by Gulf Coast Conservation Association which is now Coastal Conservation Association. They deserve the credit not Texas F & W.

Last edited:
7LFarm
I've spent a couple hours trying to figure this one out, guess I have to ask. What's good on the half shell? Besides oysters,which I don't think we are talking about here. I've never heard of anyone eating redfish eggs, or any of our other local fish eggs....but still, those wouldn't be on the half shall,anyway, lol!
Byw, while I respect the advocacy and lobbying efforts of volunteer GCCA aka CCA, toward influencing legislation in government, but it is Texas Parks and Wildlife Department (TPWD) that is actually our regulatory department that performs such things as fish and wild life management, implements programs, etc.
Texas Fish & Wildlife is a private business that publishes the largest magazine and information source website related to Fish and Wildlife herein Texas,and has nothing to do with regulating or implementing policies or laws.

The big reds...who would want to clean them? Most that catch them do! They are the most coveted catch by most surf-side/Gulf anglers along the Texas coast. Pull in a big Red on a peir, jetty, or close in Gulf boat= you're an instant celebrity! I don't personally care that much for eating them myself, or even the smaller red, the school reds or rat reds, as sometimes called, but a lot of people do! I had to tag a big red last year, it had swallowed the hook to deep to release, and nearly started a riot when I offerred to give it to someone that would like to have it to eat!

My 2011 "tag" Red that nearly started the riot...

Red fish on the half shell you've never had one. You simply cut the fish in half leaving the skin on one side & throw it on the pit. GCCA started the conservation of the red fish Texas Parks & Wildlife simply followed their lead & put the laws in place. Again I'm not a big Red Fisherman anyway I was simply stating a fact that most laws are put in place to protect endangered species that's great. But after there put in place they never change the laws back. For example, the red fish are flourishing but forever the law remains the same. Its just an example. They can leave the red fish rules as they are no big deal to me, I personally have never used the tag because I only like eating the smaller ones the big ones are hard to clean. I throw them back. I prefer trout over reds. That's just my preference. Here's My stringer mount I've been fishing forever. I only use artificial lures I've never used bait.

Your stringer mount is cool!
Oh, yes, I prefer trout, too. Who doesn't, lol! But also blacktip shark over red. Which was most of what was being caught when I caught that red...we had been fishing just out the mouth of the chanel, out past and west of the jetties....but you can't go down and pick which fish takes your hook. I don't stalk reds..don't even care much for the smaller ones. No, I've never tried them or seen reds cooked that way, on the half shell as you call it. Grilled, though, yes, seems most peoples favorite that I know. But usually in cross streaks or filets. The few big reds I've caught I usually release back to live out their life. That wasn't possible for this one pictured, it gulped the hook plumb down. no saving it. I didn't care to eat it, but others were, and rather than it go to waste, gave it away. But most people do get very excited about catching a big red. Smaller red populations have come up good, at least I heard, since my little salt fishing isn't usually bay, but surf or boat just off coast, but the population of the big ones, the 'bulls' is still way below what it once was, and they take a long to to get to that size, and are important to the breeding pool.

Btw, thanks for the info on redfish on the half shell...I have some family that really love redfish on the grill/smoker, but they've always cut them up...I'm going to pass this idea along to them...sounds like the best way.
Red fish on the half shell you've never had one. You simply cut the fish in half leaving the skin on one side & throw it on the pit. GCCA started the conservation of the red fish Texas Parks & Wildlife simply followed their lead & put the laws in place. Again I'm not a big Red Fisherman anyway I was simply stating a fact that most laws are put in place to protect endangered species that's great. But after there put in place they never change the laws back. For example, the red fish are flourishing but forever the law remains the same. Its just an example. They can leave the red fish rules as they are no big deal to me, I personally have never used the tag because I only like eating the smaller ones the big ones are hard to clean. I throw them back. I prefer trout over reds. That's just my preference. Here's My stringer mount I've been fishing forever. I only use artificial lures I've never used bait.

Last edited:
Her name is Gracie. She hatched out with her brother who died and left her all alone. I raised her as a lone chick from 5 days old and she has escaped from 2 hawk attacks while her sibling wre killed!

She thinks shes a person since I raised her alone! Always wanting to ride on my shoulder while Im doing chores! :)
What breed is she? (my brother had a baby chick named gracie, and she looked so much like your gracie, and she was a rode iland red. But she died)

smile.png

What breed is she? (my brother had a baby chick named gracie, and she looked so much like your gracie, and she was a rode iland red. But she died)
Gracie is a Black Breasted Red Old English Game Bantam. I only know this because my BB Red Ethel laid and hatched Gracie and her brother that died. Scarlett456 had shown interest in the two and when the little one died I just gave her to him to look after and raise.He did an excellent job of raising the little Gracie I might add!

Very neat picture of the fishes!. As for the hawks I throw my hands up in frustration and discust,because I counted 3 yesterday hanging together.I really thought I would only have to deal with one,but having 3 work together like a pack on my flock would leave me no choice but to pen them up 24/7.Those hawks will perch together and watch my chickens.Poor Jack would be a pile of feathers in seconds.

The entire area we live in with 12 or more houses can not be more than 5 acres total.Most of us just have .86 lots. I really thought it was 1 hawk per every few acres of land.

Wolf packs yes,but hawk packs?

Very neat picture of the fishes!. As for the hawks I throw my hands up in frustration and discust,because I counted 3 yesterday hanging together.I really thought I would only have to deal with one,but having 3 work together like a pack on my flock would leave me no choice but to pen them up 24/7.Those hawks will perch together and watch my chickens.Poor Jack would be a pile of feathers in seconds.

The entire area we live in with 12 or more houses can not be more than 5 acres total.Most of us just have .86 lots. I really thought it was 1 hawk per every few acres of land.

Wolf packs yes,but hawk packs?
The hawks are bad here this year as well. I'm with you I only let them out when I can supervise. Once the trees come back I'll let them range more. Don't wanna loose my egg makers.

At least for those of us in Texas and other states that have been suffering under the record drought the last few years, I have to think that has a lot to do with changes in predator behaviors. more 'interest' in domestic fowl and other livstock, as wild prey hasd been decimated by lack of water and forage growth. The same predators that were able to make a comfortable living on plentiful mice and rats and rabbits and smaller wild birds are have a more desperate time of it because of the draught. Some 'savvy' people I know in hard hit drought areas have also started going to the trouble to place and keep filled water troughs and plastic lined pools out on their land away from their homes and barn yards, not just to help the wild life, which it does, but to help keep them coming closer into their yards and home areas in desperate search for water.

7LFarm, no offense intended at all....your fish stringer really is a nice one, and an interesting wall decor, by, well, I just never really got into dead animals hangng all over the walls in a house. My daughter's in-laws had dead animals all over their hourse, about the only ground the wife had managed to stand was the kitchen and a tiny parlor off a little used entrance hall. Deer. moose, elk, goats, sheep, a long horn steer, cats, a few african critters, javelina, fish, gators, and i can't remember what all else.....even a big rattlesnake and cottonmouth as I recall....it always fild kinda like being in one of those big guns and outdoors stores..
Anyway, my daughter and son-in-law, along with a cluster of other life long friends, all went to school and grew up together out here...a few years ago, when on of their firends build her nice big new home, she incorporated a large aquariaum into the main bathroom wall. Everyone thought that was really cool and unique and pretty, and someone asked her where she got the iidea to do that. She said that, "well, all those years, i'd be over there, sat there on the pot in the bathroom at X's house, and had to sit there staring at all those dead fish and them staring back at me, it really creeped my out when I was a kid, i decided that if I ever got my own bathroom like a wanted it, I'd have LIVE fish staring at me instead!"

Last edited:
7LFarm, no offense intended at all....your fish stringer really is a nice one, and an interesting wall decor, by, well, I just never really got into dead animals hangng all over the walls in a house. My daughter's in-laws had dead animals all over their hourse, about the only ground the wife had managed to stand was the kitchen and a tiny parlor off a little used entrance hall. Deer. moose, elk, goats, sheep, a long horn steer, cats, a few african critters, javelina, fish, gators, and i can't remember what all else.....even a big rattlesnake and cottonmouth as I recall....it always fild kinda like being in one of those big guns and outdoors stores..
Anyway, my daughter and son-in-law, along with a cluster of other life long friends, all went to school and grew up together out here...a few years ago, when on of their firends build her nice big new home, she incorporated a large aquariaum into the main bathroom wall. Everyone thought that was really cool and unique and pretty, and someone asked her where she got the iidea to do that. She said that, "well, all those years, i'd be over there, sat there on the pot in the bathroom at X's house, and had to sit there staring at all those dead fish and them staring back at me, it really creeped my out when I was a kid, i decided that if I ever got my own bathroom like a wanted it, I'd have LIVE fish staring at me instead!"

There your walls. Believe it or not I usually throw back the big ones.

Back
Top Bottom