Hawks :(

WE TOO LAST A BARRED ROCK A COUPLE OF WEEKS AGO TO AN 'UNKNOWN " PREDATOR. SHE JUST DIDN'T COME BACK IN ONE NIGHT. NO SIGNS OF A FIGHT OR STRUGGLE, SHE WAS JUST GONE. WE FIGURED A DOG, BUT THERE WERE NO FEATHERS AND NO DEAD BIRD. A WEEK LATER, HUBBY WAS IN THE YARD HEARD THE BIRDS GOING NUTS AND TURNED TO SEE A HAWK SWOOPING DOWN AND LATCH ON TO OUR HENS, HE RAN AND SCARED IT OFF, IT FLEW UP TO A TREE AND WAITED, HE GOT THE SHOTGUN,, BUT SHE HAD FLOWN AWAY BY THEN. THE BIRDS WERE FREAKED OUT, HIDING ANYWHERE THEY COULD, NOW WE ONLY LET THEM OUT ABOUT AN HOUR OR SO BEFORE DARK, AND WE STAY RIGHT THERE WITH THEM. OTHER THAN THAT THEY STAY IN THE PEN. SO SAD FOR THEM THEY LOVE ROAMING AROUND ALL DAY.

I would suggest building a run for protection and let them free range sometimes. i do that with my three older hens but my two little ones just stay inside to get the food when they know they wont get pecked. your chickens might run off because they are used to being free ranged but maybe putting them in a run when you cant watch them would keep hawks away most of the time
Too bad about your birds. It's a constant battle to keep them safe.

We have a block wall that is 10ft away from the side of our home. We have 1/4" bird netting on the top and front. Hawks, crows and just a few nights ago, an owl haven't been able to penetrate it. The tension is kept tight to eliminate any gaps between the anchors.

Boy, it doesn't take long for word to get out around here that there are new chickens in the area. I went out to check on the ones I got from NcGrammie yesterday (All doing fine and happy) and I saw two hawks circling overhead. It is a good think that their run is covered once they are big enough to get out. The hawks were already looking for some breakfast.

I love the ideas of weather vanes and scarecrows, I will try these things as well as the deer netting I just bought for protection from above. I am sad to hear that it has not worked for many of you but it's all worth a try. We've had lots of wind these past 2 days so I haven't been able to do this yet. I have been lucky enough to be home to obsess over them though :)
They are laying again so I think the stress of the hawk attack may have passed for them, in fact they seem up to their old shenanigans, like pecking order of business. It's great to hear all your ideas, thanks!

I have 6 RI Reds and they free range all day. I put them up when it starts getting dark (usually they are already in the coop). Heard a lot of squawking the other day and saw a hawk pulling out of his dive. i yelled and waved my arms and it flew away. The girls had run to hide under the holly bushes and would not come out. I'm working on strengthening the pen new to keep out any critters during the night. We do have lots of crows around and they keep the hawks in control.

I heard a bunch of crows out back yesterday raising cane, so I got my caller out, set it up on the front porch, and killed 2 crows out of the gang that came over the house.

I heard a bunch of crows out back yesterday raising cane, so I got my caller out, set it up on the front porch, and killed 2 crows out of the gang that came over the house.
I have had problems before with crows taking eggs that are not laid in the coop but now I would never kill a crow here. If I hear the crows going nuts, I know that they are chasing off one of the hawks. Whenever I see this, they chase the hawk over about 5 acres behind us and usually continue on until I can't see them.

I plan on leaving seed out for the crows when it gets a bit colder, not right next to the coop but so that the crows will be more inclined to stay. My girls don't lay outside of the coop and I like having the extra protection from the hawks.
I have lost 1 chicken to a hawk. It was the day after I removed a tarp I had given the younger birds for shade outside. Needless to say the tarp went back up.

That's sad....the crows will keep snakes at bay and hawks too.....
th.gif

That's sad....the crows will keep snakes at bay and hawks too.....
th.gif

You are more than welcome to all the crows in west Alabama, so far as I'm concerned. I have no use for them. Nothing but noise and crop destruction. They do chase hawks on occasion, but I'd as soon deal with an occasional hawk as I had constant marauding by crows. Until recently, I had no idea there were folks who liked crows.....

You are more than welcome to all the crows in west Alabama, so far as I'm concerned. I have no use for them. Nothing but noise and crop destruction. They do chase hawks on occasion, but I'd as soon deal with an occasional hawk as I had constant marauding by crows. Until recently, I had no idea there were folks who liked crows.....

haha! I'm with you on those noisy crows - but now that I know they chase away hawks I may let them hang around a little longer - at least in my neighbor's backyard. ;)

Back
Top Bottom