Hawks :(

Birds are starting to head south these days, even raptors. If you don't have any homesteading hawks already, you're gonna see the migratory suckers over the next couple of months. If you get netting make sure it has small holes, like 2x2 or 3x3. Juveniles can get through any bigger than that.

I lost my little white silkie to a hawk about 2-3 weeks ago. Then last week my bf was outside and said he saw a hawk fly down with it's talons out trying to snatch up my favorite one, my baby RIR! We have a owl with a rotating head in our yard, so obviously that is not working. It seems the attacks also take place in the middle of the day. Now I am looking into getting a scarecrow and reflective tape. I live in a residential area, so shooting them is out of the question. I am interested in the netting a lot of you speak of, but, my bf objects as he is not an animal lover like I am and just accepts that some are going to die and is okay with that. I am not, so the chickens have created some tension between us. Sigh.
Ebay netting works and is the cheapest I found back when I had to get netting. Get a size larger than you need then the extra can be used for other chicken projects and the cost increase is very small compared to buying 2 nets. Also when you get the net it is not rolled up from side to side but from one corner to the other.

You don't need to net the entire area if you want to be able to free range over your entire back yard. instead keep in mind that the smaller slower birds are the ones needing more protection from the hawks. Yes a hawk can get a full size chicken but chicks are easier targets. If you can make a grow out area and put the net over that you will fell better about providing protection and your bf still has his way in an uncovered free ranging back yard. Personally I don't let a chicken free range until they are of a decent size or they are a breed that can avoid hawks.
Also a radio playing might help but the neighbors may not want to listen to talk radio 24 / 7.
Another thought to keep in mind is that the hawk that keeps getting easy food will find a mate and then you have 2 hawks getting your chicks. And if there is a mate then there will be junior hawks. Letting the hawks pick off the chicks just because a hawk has to eat too really does not work well imo.

Thank you SallyinIndiana. I should note that although I called them babies, they are 3 months old. So yes, def not full size but not baby chicks. I just tend to call my favorite one the baby because when I got him his umbilical cord was still attached and he squeeks like crazy. I agree with your post, but like I said before, my bf is not having it as far as the netting. :( Makes me kinda upset, but what can I do, but it and put it up while he's at work? haha All I can say is he will have hell to pay if the Hawk(s) get my favorite.

Thank you SallyinIndiana. I should note that although I called them babies, they are 3 months old. So yes, def not full size but not baby chicks. I just tend to call my favorite one the baby because when I got him his umbilical cord was still attached and he squeeks like crazy. I agree with your post, but like I said before, my bf is not having it as far as the netting. :( Makes me kinda upset, but what can I do, but it and put it up while he's at work? haha All I can say is he will have hell to pay if the Hawk(s) get my favorite.
Other more natural solutions are out there like planting bushes for cover or making shade shelters to hide under. But I just keep mine until they are of a decent weight inside the pen that is covered with netting. Safer and less stress for me. Other options include getting a large guard dog and training the dog to protect your chickens. You can also build a frame system and put chicken wire on top. Costs much more than netting but holds up well when snow comes. I have heard of people shooting off fireworks or other loud noise items. However living in the farm area allows for many options that would annoy a close neighbor. large dogs need space, fireworks might not be permitted this time of year, guns even aimed at the ground inside city limits are typically a no. You might even get some hassle over the reflective tape if your house is in a subdivision with a bunch of rules about looks.

I didn't actually see him try to land I just heard the commotion and turned around to see him swing up and over the coop and take off. I heard a bunch of whoosh sounds, so probably he caught himself either hitting the net or just before hitting the net? I didn't need to make any repairs. My netting is covering a 50'x30' area. I use the coop in the center as my center pole.

I built panels out of 1X2's--bundle of 6 for $5. Cut some in half and screwed them together--3 half-length pieces for uprights (one for each end and 1 in the center), 2 long ones for top and bottom rails. Then covered with netting-stapled chicken wire on some, just used deer netting for others. I can attach them so I have 2 lenghthwise with 1 panel as top cover , then secure them together w/ zip ties. make 2 panels out of all half-lengths for ends. I can butt it up to the coop door and let them come in and out, or I can put them in it anywhere in the yard. So, they get to range but not 100% free. When we travel and won't be home to put them up, we set this structure up and use metal fence posts as more secure supports. With panels, you can configure it into any size you want. When not in use, we use the panels as 'gates' so the chucks can't get into the carport or on the porch. light-weight and portable

Back
Top Bottom