Hawks :(

Does anyone have a picture of one of these set ups? I am having trouble visualizing. I had 13 Bantams. Have a coop with a covered run, but have always let them out for 1-2 hours morning and evening. Last night a hawk swooped in around 7 p.m. I heard the commotion but didn't get there soon enough. He killed our sweetest, most gentle little hen. I am still so upset and mad at myself for not protecting them better. They have not gotten out to free range at all today. I would like to try something like you are talking about so I can let them out safely again.

Thanks for any input.

Dont be too hard on yourself, there is often little you can do.

Here are pics of a bunch of different kinds:
https://www.google.com/search?q=chi...fkoATcroCoAg&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAQ&biw=1558&bih=889

Thanks so much for your response. Yes - lesson learned. I had no idea the free ranging could be so dangerous. Looking forward to seeing your pic. It's great to have a site like this to share our misfortunes and get some good ideas.

Thanks for your kind words and the abundance of pictures! I'll be researching this more to come up with something for my flock.

If we can act quickly enough, we will surely try this. Actually saw the hawk lurking around our property off and on all day today.

This is what I have (the biggest one). It's just 1 inch PVC pipe, my husband pieced it together, and we wrapped chicken wire around it, and tied that down with zip ties. That one is approx 6ft x 12ft. We have one more that is a 6x6. We can fit a small kiddie pool in them for when our ducks are in them.

I also saw something in my FB feed that someone shared. They used an old metal swing set frame, and put chicken wire over that, and made some kind of a wooden frame along the bottom. They even had the feeder hanging from the pole like a swing. Don't over think it. As long as its fairly sturdy. We made ours from the pvc because we thought it would be lighter (and it is) to move. All the piping and gluing materials were pretty cheap. Most expensive thing-the chicken wire! My husband wanted to get some of that plastic netting stuff, but I didn't want to chance it. Its survived a good 6 months in our yard, and has endured the freezing temps. The only thing that bugs me is that it has to be on some level ground, so I'm limited. My yard is bit hilly.
hmm.png

Here is mine I took lots of photos ,allot like BarneyChicks,

simple

we don't have a door yet, so I just lift one corner push against the door of the run after they are in i s hook it down

waiting for me to open the door, when the door is opened they all come running to get in, didn't get that pic card was full

Back
Top Bottom