1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hawks!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by ownerof7chicks, Jan 23, 2014.

1. ownerof7chicks

ownerof7chicks Out Of The Brooder

Oct 20, 2013
    Even though my username is ownerof7chicks, I only have 5 chicks now. I made my account before 2 of my chicks died. My first chick, I'm not sure if it was a hawk. I was going to put the in their coop but we just couldn't find it. I think a hawk came and snatched it up and took it away to eat. My 2nd chick was lost to a hawk attack. The hawk came down into our backyard and grabbed a chick. Then the hawk started to pull the chicks feathers off. My grandma ran outside but the hawk had already bit the chick's neck off. My grandma buried it and we found the other chicks. The other chicks were fine, but frightened. I'm not sure if there is a way to keep hawks from coming but if any of you have a strategy please reply!

2. foreverlearning

foreverlearning Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2013
    A lot of people put streamers in their yard to prevent them but it doesn't work all the time. Basically anything shiny like a CD hanging in the yard so the wind blows it. Bird/deer netting is cheap and works great. They don't see it until they fly into it but it keeps them out.

3. ownerof7chicks

Oct 20, 2013
    Well I hang up red plastic bags around my backyard but the hawks don't really care.

4. Poetshens

Poetshens Out Of The Brooder

Jan 14, 2014
    Turkeys have been known to attack hawks when they swoop down and struggling to take the chick/hen away

1 person likes this.
  5. foreverlearning

foreverlearning Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2013
    Really? I didn't know that! Looks like chickens really are the gateway livestock!

6. ownerof7chicks

Oct 20, 2013
    I didn't know that either! Thanks for telling us Poetshens!

7. Poetshens

Poetshens Out Of The Brooder

Jan 14, 2014
    I assume because small turkeys and their babies are stolen by hawks in the wild so they hate hawks the way chickens hate mice. I heard of a guy who saved a hawk from his tom because he had him pinned to the ground.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by