Hawks?

Two days ago a Hawk killed 3 of my 6 hens, a Rhode Island, a Brahma Cochin and a CA White. While I was picking up the bodies of 2 of them, it killed a third.
Worst part is, it didn't eat them. Just tore some feathers and skin off the back between the wings. They all 3 had deep puncture wounds. I have a 16 week old CA White/Leghorn rooster who ended up on the other side of my 5' fence. Not sure if he flew over to save himself or while trying to protect the hens. I hatched and raised them. These were pets. They had always been free range on my acre. Now they are confined to a 10x10 foot run and not liking it. Not seeing them wandering around the property takes the joy out of keeping them. I'm considering re-homing the remaining 3 and the rooster.

wow, I know that had to be traumatic. What you described is what I'm scared of. I am aware they just dive down and use their talons to kill instantly - not picking them up. Which is awful! Were you out with them when it happened? Guessing so since it killed a third? The Chicken Chick website has a great article where the chicken owner writes about her thoughts on allowing her chickens to free range or not. She's lost a few hens but wrote how she feels it may be worth it for them to be happy and how she has come to accept the fact she may lose some. But, she also has a large flock vs 5 or 6. As for being confined- I, myself, will probably use the paddock approach and rotate my chickens around my yard --- hopefully that will help keep them from feeling "cooped" up ? We have the space to build some rather large paddock areas. Here's hoping you don't rehome your other chickens despite the horrible loss, there may be other solutions.

wow, I know that had to be traumatic. What you described is what I'm scared of. I am aware they just dive down and use their talons to kill instantly - not picking them up. Which is awful! Were you out with them when it happened? Guessing so since it killed a third? The Chicken Chick website has a great article where the chicken owner writes about her thoughts on allowing her chickens to free range or not. She's lost a few hens but wrote how she feels it may be worth it for them to be happy and how she has come to accept the fact she may lose some. But, she also has a large flock vs 5 or 6. As for being confined- I, myself, will probably use the paddock approach and rotate my chickens around my yard --- hopefully that will help keep them from feeling "cooped" up ? We have the space to build some rather large paddock areas. Here's hoping you don't rehome your other chickens despite the horrible loss, there may be other solutions.
Thanks for you input chickbee, I've had them confined the last 3 days and they were miserable. We've had heat in the 90s the past 2 days and after watching them pant yesterday, I decided to let them free range again today so they can dust bathe, and rest under the shade of the orange trees. When the attacks occured, I was in the house with the windows closed and didn't hear them. When I went out to check for eggs, I saw the rooster on the other side of the fence trying to figure out how to get back over. It was when I was heading down to the gate to go around and catch him, that I saw a pile of feathers on the ground and one of my Rhode Islands dead a few feet away. As I was carrying her back up to the house, I saw my Brahma Cochin also dead under a bush. Two of my other hens were milling around the coop so I assumed they were ok. After a major fiasco crawling through brush and cactus to catch the rooster, I realized the white CA white was missing. After hours of searching for her, I spotted her lying on her side, about 500 ft away in my neighbors empty swimming pool. They weren't home, so I wasn't able to retrieve her until the next morning.
I've decided to let the remaining 3 hens free range, but I will not be replacing the ones I lost. It was hell digging 3 graves in the heat and decomposed granite and rocks we have for a yard. I'm keeping a close eye on them and hoping this doesn't happen again.

I had a problem with hawks, but found a way to deter them harmlessly. I took a bunch of old cds (finally found a useful purpose for Microsoft Windows that does not freeze, crash, or result in the dreaded "blue screen of death"!!). I drilled holes in the cds, and with strong string hung them in various locations around my pen. I have also used those foil spiral thingys you can get at the party stores. Where there are no trees or bushes to hang them on, I drove stakes in the ground, used some thick wire to make a hook and attached the cd to that. The main thing is to be sure they hang loose so they can swing, sway and spin in the breeze. Hawks don't like shiny things, and these babies spin and reflect all day long. I haven't seen the hawks in four years!

Thanks! I wondered if that tactic actually worked with shiny things. I have some old CDs and will do this. My chickens are about five months old and I let them free range at least once a day and sit outside with them. so far, I haven't noticed the Hawks I've seen in the past. But I'm always nervous! So I'll try this.

You've been given excellent advice. What I can add is that years ago we lost egg layers in hawk attacks so when we decided to get new birds (Took us a while,) I researched breeds and decided to go with larger duel purpose breeds. I started with Jersey Giants and still have some of their mixed progeny. I also have roosters in my flock, which you probably don't want, but it you get larger birds, do some landscaping so they can duck under shrubbery, or evergreens, even place the plastic rubber milk cartons or boxes around strategically, that should work well.
I've had hawks actually sit in trees or on a pole and look at my birds but not come down.
Often there is a dog out with the flock.
You can also encourage crows and blue jays by feeding them and they harass the hawks to the point they often avoid crow or blue jay infested territory.

During migrations last year I did have two hawk attacks, one on a small Easter egger who dived under the deck (The rooster was screaming a warning) and then on a clutch of ten week olds who quickly took shelter under an evergreen. Thankfully both attacks were unsuccessful.
We also have covered runs for when the birds aren't free ranging, but the hawks haven't been a big worry. Foxes are another story.
If you follow the advice given, you shouldn't have problems.

We had left the house for about a half hour one evening and didn't put the chickens back in the pen before we left. When we returned we found dead chickens everywhere. In that attack we lost 8 hens and a duck. The others scrambled into the woods and hid. Our German Shepherd (who considers the chickens her babies) rounded them up and brought them home.

We have a large pen with a 5 ft. fence around it. Inside that we have a smaller, completely enclosed pen (we call it the "inner pen"). It is built under a tree house, with chicken wire installed from the base of the tree house and attached deck (should I say tree mansion here?) all the way down to 12" below the ground and 12" out away from the base to discourage predators from digging into the inner pen. This is where the chickens are secured at night.

A few days after the attack the dog alerted us to a hawk with its talons tangled in the chicken wire, upside down in the inner pen. We finally were able to locate the ONLY person in northern Indiana licensed to handle hawks. She came out, removed the hawk, checked it for damage, turned it loose, and then lectured us on how to protect THE HAWK (like we cared!!!). After that I installed my shiny barrier, and although I've seen the hawk waaaaay up in the air a few times, it has never come close to our chickens again.

BTW, the system also works to keep other pests out of your garden.

My girls are locked up due to the Hawks, but that does not stop the hawk from coming, he comes and lands right in front of their fenced area and wants to get them and scares the daylights out of my girls. He has done this three times and I was outside about 15 feet away from him each time. I have my girls in a fenced in pen with snow netting over-the-top and have added deer netting around the sides of the fenced area. They are not happy but safe for the time being. I also saw a fisher cat here once. Not happy about these predators.

Are hawks worse this time of year? We live close to a river and we assume the hawks are getting their food there. Our chickens free ranged in our fenced in 1/2 acre back yard all summer without incident. We have bushes and trees for cover and planted some more for their protection. The past month we've had many sightings and had a couple swoop down. Now we only let the chickens free range when we can be out there and have the dogs out too. Hoping they are just migrating and we will be okay this winter. Does it get better in the winter or is it more of a problem?

We live in the vicinity of Louisville .. No where near in need of a Hawk at our residence .. We have a huge hawk who has decided to use our chimneytop as his murder room .. It's horrible .. We can hear small birds crying for their life .. We come out every day and parts of small birds and freathers are all over our back patio .. This is a loud - mean bird .. And he's spreading possible diseases on our property with his killing spree .. This has been since early spring .. We need this bird to go away .. Like I said .. He's spreading possible diseases on our living quarters .. Daily .. It's gross and nasty to say the least - on top of being the biggest bird bully ever! Poor little birds being torn to pieces every day ! It's horrible ! I hate this ugly hawk ! Who ever says they are beautiful can can come get this beauty of a killer hawk .. Take it and admire it forever ! We want it gone !!

Back
Top Bottom