Hay-Day! Keets' first experience in a brooder full of fresh hay :)

PeepsCA

Crowing
12 Years
Mar 28, 2011
BFE, CA
I usually let them burn off some energy a while before I add their food and water...
Otherwise they have a messy brooder in a matter of 30 seconds!
barnie.gif

Keets Havin' a Hay-Day!

Nope, no grit, they aren't eating the hay. I've sat and watched over 575 keets do this same activity this yr so far... they are just running around with it like they found the golden worm, playing keep away from the others. Now if that was full of shavings they would eat those, that's why they are on hay
smile.png
10 mins after I took that video they were all sacked out from all the running, lol.

I have started using hay with my babies (once they are a few weeks old). They hay is free from our front pasture, when it is cut I get more than I can use each cutting. No reason to buy bedding when I have a few dozen bales of hay in the barn!

There's positives and negatives to hay vs shavings... the hay does not control odor as well as the shavings do, but it doesn't make that nasty dust that gets EVERYWHERE!!! And it's cheaper if you are changing bedding in several brooders like I am every couple days... I get way more mileage out of a bale of hay than I do a couple bales of shavings, lol.

Back
Top Bottom