HAYBALE: UPDATE

Pics

WallyBirdie

Crowing
Aug 2, 2019
Baby Haybale is growing up so fast! 11 days old. Already so tall! Very active and healthy! Feathers seem to have grown fast! Haybale has had large feet since hatch, not sure if that is a roo indicator or a trait that may be related to size. Wing span is downright impressive. The little one makes attempts to get on the couch and nearly succeeds! If I'm sitting on the floor, Haybale easily gets on my shoulder and up against my neck without any help. She follows me around, she harasses the dog.

I had some serious thoughts on keeping her as a house chicken but seeing her instincts develop makes it easy to see how well she is going to do when she is ready to go outside.

First nice day outside (warm and not wet!) she will get a trip out to see the world and experience grass and dirt and get a glimpse at the flock she will eventually be integrated with.

[The video was meant to be cute, but now I'm paranoid that the little one might have split wing! Hopefully the feathers even out as they grow?]

20200803_092956.jpg

20200805_085443.jpg
20200805_091740.jpg
20200805_084947.jpg

LOOKIT THEM TAIL FEATHERS!
20200805_135256.jpg

Last edited:
I'm happy to share! All baby chicks are precious but this one stole my heart.
-If you checked the video, do the wings look odd to you? I'd take a picture of them fanned out but Haybale fusses when I try.

I'm certainly no expert but I think they look alright. I kinda know what you mean, but I think it's just that the feathers are still growing in properly. It's probably harder because Haybale is on her own so you've got no others to compare her to. You tend to worry about every little thing when they are a bit precious too. 🥰

I'm certainly no expert but I think they look alright. I kinda know what you mean, but I think it's just that the feathers are still growing in properly. It's probably harder because Haybale is on her own so you've got no others to compare her to. You tend to worry about every little thing when they are a bit precious too. 🥰
Thank you for the reassurance. It is hard without other chicks compare. Her feathers just came so fast! And I accidental found a post about 'split wing' and someone said the defect made their wings weak-
When Haybale gets comfy and squats/sits/lays, her wings sit away from her body instead of flat against her. When she flaps, the feathers almost look like they're overlapping themselves.
I am probably reading too much into uneven feather growth. I'll try to relax and enjoy the sweetheart while she's still little!

I'd never heard of split wing before. We have a couple of young ones and they too will do what you are describing when they are relaxed so I'm sure it's nothing to worry about.
I hadn't heard of it until I came across a list of traits that can disqualify show chickens. (I don't show chickens; I just enjoy reading and learning.) One trait for DQ is split wing- some part of the wong/feather is missing and causes a gap and sometimes overlap. Beyond that, I have no idea...
Hopefully your chicks and mine are just in the middle of feathering.

They grow up so fast! In 4 days Haybale will be a month old! I think I can put aside a couple questions I had early on.
Obviously, he's a cockerel.
His father is a turken and his mother... is the frizzle I originally suspected. Haybale may not be showing the frizzle gene, but I believe my frizzle is a cochin- which would account for the feathered legs.

20200820_114214.jpg

20200820_114217.jpg

His first trip outside was good, and hopefully the next will be better. He didn't like the grass and kept flying up to sit on my arm or hand. He was taken inside when I caught sight of a stray cat. There will be more trips for longer periods of time, with supervision.

He is mostly feathered but under his wings is still full of fuzzy down. I think he is going to be a handsome little fella.
20200820_184416.jpg

Back
Top Bottom