Hazel's beak is all messed up, sick, unable to eat, NEW Info! Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

barg

Songster
12 Years
Apr 27, 2007
Hazel spent all morning in the nest box, thought maybe she was laying an egg, although she's too young..13 weeks.
Finally I called them all for treats to get a better look.
Hazel finally came out of the coop.

She tried to eat the treats but the bottom part of the beak seems to go all diffetent directions and there was a little blood on the top part of her beak.

No part of the beak looks broken or cracked, although there is a little white area on either side of where her upper and lower beak join together.

She tried to eat the treats and was having alot of problems and ended up runing in circles, shortly after she went back into the coop and sat.

The Lower beak seems to move to the left and the right when she tries to eat, as if its unhinged.
What is this and
What do I do about it

Last edited:
I've never seen this before. The only thing I can think would be to try to give her soft food just to keep her hydrated. My hens love Gerber baby food apricots as a treat...Maybe she'd be able to eat something like that. I hope someone else here has more info for you.

Could something have gotten in and tried to grab her? Or she could've run into something and dislocated her jaw... I'd keep giving her soft foods or even try bird handfeeding formula.
I hope she'll be fine for you soon.

Nothing could have gotten in.
Yes she could have run into something, or caused damage in some other way to her beak.

I think its more likely, that she got it caught on something, then running into something, but I really dont know.

If it is dislocated, which is one of my suspicions, what do you do about that, is she doomed?

Last edited:
Quote:
She's just sitting inside the house of the coop
sad.png

Thanks for helping
smile.png

...with something like this I cannot add to what spotted has told you (tho it would be helpful to have a pic)... if you do not have an avian vet to consult (they do things like this with beaks regularly on parrots and such) then please try to find a bird rehabber close to you...they are a wealth of practical info (or have contacts to ask)

Read your post, and I'm so worried about Hazel! I've been watching your posts of the girls growing up (my Ameraucanas are not far behind).

Were you able to find an avian vet near you? If not, I'm fairly certain that my vet could at least offer a phone consult for you and perhaps guide you with what you could be doing for her right now. His name is David McCluggage,DVM and he has a practice here in Colorado. He is known as an avian expert, though he deals more with exotic birds than chickens. Try contacting his office at 303-702-1986; you can also visit his website at www.wellvet.com. His hours are somewhat limited, and he's usually booked up, so I'd call and leave a message early in the morning along with your contact info. Hopefully someone in his office would be able to get back with you that day and offer info or a time for him to chat with you.

If you're open to alternative treatments, you might consider adding a few homeopathic arnica montana pellets to her water (great for any trauma), as well as 5 drops of Rescue Remedy. They usually recommend that you continue this regimen for a few days or until the problem is resolved (doesn't take care of the problem itself, just assists the healing process). If you want to know more about any of these, let me know and I'll post info/links.

Meantime, let us know how she's doing. We'll keep her in our thoughts!

Last edited:
Thank you for the info.
I have continued this in a newer thread
The new thread
I was wrong about what was wrong with her exactly because of my bad vision.

Around here Vets tend to take cash (and lots of it) and then discuss your problem.

I'll see how she is tomarrow and then may call your vet.
I have gotten some good responces from people in the other thread.
If I can find any of those remedys around here, that sounds like a good idea.

I started the new thread because this one seemed to die off and I hadnt really given accurate info in it, so I figured ide start over with pics and better information.

Thanks again everyone.

Last edited:
I will go head and close this to avoid confusion.
Everyone please go to the thread in the above post if you can help Barg.
Thanks!
smile.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom