He died at 9 weeks

2dancingrats

Songster
10 Years
Jun 17, 2009
Bay City, Michigan
I spend time with them every day. Yesterday, they all seemed bright, active and happy. This morning one was dead.
She didn't appear to have any injuries. I just want some ideas as to what could have happened. Everyone else is feeling great, and totally enjoyed the extra time outside while I scrubbed out the juvenile pen.

I read, on this site, that they can get kidney stones from eating layer crumble too early. Does that have symptoms?
I ask because these chickens have been eating it since day one. Before you tell me how crazy I am, let me explain.

The very old farmer who we buy our chickens and our feed from, told my husband it would be fine. We only buy organic feed, but it does come as layer or starter feed. Since the man is a man and he's old my husband is completely convinced that he knows what he's talking about. I gave them the benefit of the doubt, but this is the third hen we've lost since we got them at two days old in March.

We got a dozen hens last year, fed them starter, and haven't lost one.

Could this be the problem? If yes, am I likely to lose all of my little girls?
sad.png

Thanks.

Last edited:
Chicks can just up & die. You may never know why. Sorry.
hugs.gif

Layer feed has too much calcium for birds that are not laying. Buy some chick starter or Flockraiser.

I don't know if the feed did in your chick, but here is the basic difference between Start & Grow and Layena. Start & Grow is 18% protein, but a low calcium formula. Layena is 16% protein with a high calcium formula. We are advised to not use parakeet grit because it includes calcium which is bad for the chicks kidneys -- just a little grit. And here the Layena feed is formulated with high calcium, known to be bad for chicks kidneys.

The feed might have nothing whatever to do with the deaths of your birds -- or it might be the direct link. I have all respect for the old farmers -- accept sometimes. Sometimes they just don't know. Sometimes they are just stubborn. Sometimes what worked 30 years ago is no longer valid today. (Look at the differences in the way we care for babies and children compared to 30 years ago...) (And we won't even discuss the "because they are men" thing; nobody wants to travel down that road.)

Chicks should be on Start & Grow till they approach laying age -- 18 weeks. If they were my chicks I'd have them on Start & Grow first thing in the morning. It can't hurt.

On top of it, I am so sorry you lost your chicks -- that is a crushing blow.

Jenny

Thanks. I'm just baffled because we didn't lose any last year. The only difference iis the food. Funny you should mention the parakeet grit, because that is also what they've been getting, and I do believe in was also recommended by our farmer friend. I have to get feed anyway, so I putting my foot down and gettling some started for the little girls.

old.gif
Tell your husband that being old doesn't guarantee the validity of statements coming from an old farmer. While I too am old and may have known everything at some point, I can't remember when that was.
gig.gif
The other thing that I am finding to be true more and more, is that just because someone has been doing something for many years, it doesn't mean that he has been doing it right.

Back
Top Bottom