1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

He said yes!! So I ordered them!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by blueberrychickens, May 13, 2010.

1. blueberrychickens

blueberrychickens Songster

May 12, 2010
    Hudson, MA
    Hubby said I could get chickens!! So very happy!! So I ordered online 2 buff orpingtons, 2 golden laced wyandottes, 1 silver laced wyandotte, 2 easter eggers, & 1 australorp. They are scheduled to arrive in mid june, so that gives us time to gather supplies, build the coop & read up on chickens!!! [​IMG][​IMG] We've never done this before so it should be interesting!!!

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble Premium Member

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Congrats!! You'll certainly enjoy raising chickens and they are very interesting creatures to say the least, I love em. Read up on as much info you can here on BYC forum,there's a wealth of knowledge and expertise. Have fun!

3. blueberrychickens

blueberrychickens Songster

May 12, 2010
    Hudson, MA
    Thanks, there is soo much to read on this forum, it's really a great resource. Alot of helpfull people out there to help us newbies out. Can't wait to get them!!! [​IMG]

4. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I think you've got the perfect mix of breeds for a first-timer. [​IMG] (Said she, who has been keeping chickens only since October 2009.)

5. Karrie13

Karrie13 Songster

May 1, 2009
    Minnesota
    Congratulations!

A piece of advice though... build your coop bigger than you think you need now because you will find out you need more room later when you buy more chickies!

6. LindseyM12

LindseyM12 Songster

May 4, 2009
    North Carolina
    Congrats!!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] Its so fun having chickens!!!!!!!
    And [​IMG] from N.C.!!!!!!!!!

7. zDoc

zDoc Songster

Apr 7, 2010
    Farmington NM
    [​IMG] Yes Definitely over build. It's very addicting, I'm one of many living examples of this. [​IMG]

8. Turner

Turner Songster

Jan 2, 2010
    Northeast OH
    [​IMG]

You will have so much fun and this is a wonderful source of info for newbies and oldies [​IMG]. Like everyone said build your coop bigger than you have planned.

There is nothing better than sitting out and watching your guys - so relaxing. Just make sure everything is predator proof! Good Luck!

9. dparadise

dparadise In the Brooder

Apr 16, 2010
    southwest Florida
    Congrats on your new chickens and yes, everything that they're telling you about building bigger is sooo very true. I started with 14, a good mix of different breeds, so I wouldn't need more, right? wrong! I went a week later and bought 6 more. I'm telling myself now to just wait until these are grown but it's not working very well. [​IMG]

10. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Quote:You and me both! I have four in the brooder, about 4 wks old, six in the Juvenile Detention area about 14, or 15 wks old, and the other 9 chickens which are over 7 months old. I'm WAY over my legal limit of poultry!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by