HE SURVIVED now what

mg1010

In the Brooder
Apr 29, 2021
Hello all. My rooster who is about a year old got frostbite on his wattle and it got infected internally. We brought him inside because they looked swelled and by the next day his wattles swelled up enormously. Took him to the vet, the gave him fluids, antibiotics, & anti inflammatory. They told me he would probably die over the weekend, but he lived & his wattles are back to normal (other then the frostbite peeling and falling off).

My concern is putting him back out in the cold after being in the warm house. It was in the negatives when I brought him in. We keep the house at about 70 and it is going to be in the 30s this week. Is it safe to put him back outside? Will he get sick?

You will need to gradually get him used to the cold weather. If possible keep him in until it has healed. If you cannot or that doesn’t seem possible, put him in a cooler part of the house, basement, unheated room, or garage, and gradually lower the temperature. His damaged wattle tissue will eventually become more rounded off. Raise height of waterers or change them to traditional waterers or nipple/cup waterers to help keep wattles out of the water during freezing temps.

Back
Top Bottom