HE Washers - Love? Hate? Opinions?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by mangled, Jul 3, 2011.

1. mangled

mangled Chillin' With My Peeps

Our old, top loading washer finally bit it and we're looking into getting a high-efficiency washer.

We're not sure which model to get, size, brand, etc., and are seeking opinions.

Do you love yours? Hate yours?

And, is anyone aware of a homemade laundry detergent that works with the HE washers?

Thanks-
    Em

2. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator~~~ BYC Store Support Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] mine. [​IMG]

3. ChickenAlgebra

ChickenAlgebra Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    We have an LG HE, and it's all kinds of nice. Homemade, we make the liquid, keep it set as powder and ALWAYS add vinegar. All the homemade soaps we have tried are low suds, which is what you need for HE.

4. mangled

Does the Fels Naptha work with the HE? I've got 4 bars drying out.

What is your recipe for soap, if you don't mind me asking

Thank-
    Em

5. homesteadmomma

homesteadmomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2011
    Parke Co. Indiana
    I also have an LG that I love. The only thing that has taken a bit of time to get used to, is the long cycles. Plan on waiting an hour or so for each load. Also, my dryer is now far too small for the amount of laundry I can effectively clean in my washer.

6. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

I have the Whirlpool Cabrio set and I could never ever go back to a "regular" set again.

7. mangled

As lame as it may seem, I'm really excited about it. We're on a well, and after some weeks, having to limit myself to 3 loads a day really sucks. I'm forever dodging mount washmore.

As for the load size, I guess I never considered the dryer thing. Through the summer, I can hang stuff out, but through the winter, I'll have to take it easy on my old dryer so it can get us to tax time. There's no money for a set right now. Do the accompanying dryers have a larger load capacity as well?

Em

8. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Quote:Yes they certainly do!!!! What used to be 3-4 loads is now 1, and the water level is monitored by sensors and uses sound waves more than water. No agitator either. I love it!!!!

9. jwg423

jwg423 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2011
    Minnesota
    here is a thread that has a recipe for homemade liquid detergent https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=526648, I just made a batch today, but haven't tried it yet...
    I have a whirlpool cabrio HE top loader and I hate it, but not because of anything that has anything to do with HE, but we have replaced a pump 4 times in the past 2 years, due to the drain holes being so large that it can suck in things such as a missed rock that was in my sons pocket, quarters and such... The bottom of the pump is made of plastic and is easily punctured...

10. geepy

geepy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2009
    central FL
    Quote:My dryer depends on the weather. I'm so old fashion I use a line. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by