He won't stop crowing!!! He just keeps crowing and crowing and.......

Quote:
yuckyuck.gif
lau.gif

How old is he? My roo crowed alot when he was just starting but after the 3 of them started fighting I got rid of 2 he calmed down a bit. Still, now he doesnt crow too much. He crows at me when I go into the coop or when the girls are too close to me or I pick one up. Sometimes I think he does it to talk back to me when I talk to him. I dont know about sunlight, yesterday morning he crowed when I was out to the bus at 7am and it was still pretty dark, no window in the coop.

Oddly enough, I have a 13 week old EE rooster and I haven't heard a peep out of him yet..
hu.gif
I'm starting to think he's mute...

We gave away 2 leghorn roos in the spring this year and they started crowing (quite pathetically, it was hilarious) at 8-9 weeks!

...go figure!

He's a young male bird with his own flock, he's got plenty to crow about! He will probably slow down as he matures, but he will always crow. The night time crowing is probably cause something disturbs him a bit.

We put a baby monitor in our coop. I know it sounds wierd, but it gives me piece of mind. I am a light sleeper, but at night in winter with all the windows shut, and the coop all closed up, I was nervous cause we have pine martens and mink, and fishers in our area. Anyways, Chester crows several times thru the night, they are kind of half hearted, and usually just 5 or 6 calls. I think it is instinctual, perhaps to make predators aware that some one is on gaurd, or to 'comfort' or locate any ladies roosting nearby...

He is crowing less now than he was this spring, so I think there is hope for you. Sounds like your young bird is proud as punch and wants the world to know what a stud muffin he is! Chat with your neighbors, insulate your coop, and close up your bird at night, and assure them that he will slow down soon. Even if he doesnt, you would be surprised what we as humans get used to and dont notice after a while. If they know you will do something about it if it becomes a problem, they stop fuming about it, and then stop hearing it. Communication and good fences make good neighbors!

Good Luck!

Thank you for everyone's replies!

I agree with you Angie, it seems like he has a purpose to his crowing more often than not.

Daniel, I believe that's it right there, the light issue. We had a heat lamp out there for a while until I read a thread on here that said that they don't need a heat lamp in the winter as long as the coop is draft free. So we took it out, and he wasn't crowing quite as much, but was still crowing ALOT for it being night. I didn't know that an outside light or even the moon would make a rooster crow at night!
th.gif
lol.png

We have an outside light on the side of the house that comes on at night, the coop is about 20-30 feet away from it. So that just might be it.
sad.png
I don't really know what to do about that. Any ideas? It's one of those street lamp type lights. I'm sure my husband has an idea of how to disable it...possibly even hook it up to motion sensors. That would be ideal. (Or we'll need to call an electrician..but monetarily that's not an option right now)

Birdlover haha that sounds like it might be a good story! I think my husband would put me out in the coop if I brought him inside lol!! Thank you for the perspective though even if it won't work for us! Never know I may need to do that for one reason or another.

rimshoes the rooster behavior modification is actually for aggressive roosters. If you go to rooster red's BYC page, you can read about it there. Not only is he a whiny baby (LOL) he is starting to get aggressive towards me and is being really aggressive with the rest of the flock. He's not a standard, but still don't want the behavior to continue. I have noticed as I have started working with him that he has calmed down considerably.

I will get to the rest of the posts hopefully later on this afternoon, or tonight after I get out of class. I really appreciate everyone's input. Sorry I didn't get back to everyone sooner. I have been trying to write this for several hours, but with little ones at home, I have to stop and start a lot, so I just keep my tabs open, and come back when I can.

Our banty crows more when he hears things like a car pulling up the drive or voices, especially kids voices. Kinda like he wants everyone to know he's there. Maybe theres something disturbing him.

I've only had 3 grown roos, so I'm no expert here, but my roo crows when something is going on around the coop - fortunately not often, but just last night - 3am, he started to crow... so I went out there and scoped out the place...whatever was there (if there was something) got away site unseen. He quieted down and didn't start to crow until sun-up.

My only point is that maybe you've got a predator that comes around and he's alerting you.
idunno.gif

It drives me nuts when people say chickens dont need heat in the winter. Absolutely out of my mind nuts! I know that it is regional. I am sure there are tender places in the world where night time temps do not drop below freezing, and if you are lucky enuff to live there, then great, your birds dont need heat. HOWEVER, if you are one of the millions of the rest of us who do live where it gets really cold at night, PLEASE invest the 15.00 in a simple red heat bulb for your birds!

For as long as people have kept bird in cold climates, they have survived and wintered in unheated coops, what we all dont seem to remember, is that they also suffered. Wattles and Combs get frostbite, turn black and blue, and rot off. Gee, I imagine that hurts! I have a photograph of my Grandmother in the 1940's, holding a big old rooster, and his comb was all black and mangled. That was the norm then, wasnt much they could do about it. We however can.

Studies have shown that red heat lights are soothing to the birds, reduce pecking, and do not appear to affect thier sleep cycles. Coops do not have to be 50*, however, one bulb strategically placed can easily keep a poorly insulated coop humane.

I have noticed that Chester crows less now than he did all this summer. Perhaps its hormones, perhaps now he can see about his coop, and know that all is well? (the red light is on at night now) We will never know.

My point is this, if it gets cold at night where you are, be humane, and give your birds some kind of low heat.

Back
Top Bottom