Head and neck changing colors

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by purecountrychicken, Sep 24, 2010.

1. purecountrychicken

purecountrychicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2008
    Gray Court, SC
    I have 4 Narragansetts. I was watching them and 3 of them had blue heads with red necks and 1 had all blue head and neck. I was wondering do the different colors mean something,,like mood changes? I dont know much about turkeys so I was just wondering.

Thanks

2. Steve_of_sandspoultry

Steve_of_sandspoultry Overrun With Chickens

that's exactly what it is. Mood changes, they go from red, to blue, to no color. The red on the tom's means "hey baby like my snood", Blue is more of a "step away from the turkey" i'm the big guy here. The no color, "I give up or I don't feel good"

Steve

Last edited: Sep 24, 2010
  3. doubleostud

doubleostud Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2008
    Stillwater, Oklahoma
    Steve is the man and knows what he is saying, look at my avitar, thats a blue slate, he goes from red to white to blue all the time, great for the fourth of July.

4. purecountrychicken

purecountrychicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2008
    Gray Court, SC
    Ok,,cool. Now that I know that,,I got another question for you. How bout that thing on top their beaks,,is that the snood? And why sometimes is it real long and hanging down and sometimes its all pulled up tight and looks like a stump? what does that mean?

Thanks

5. doubleostud

doubleostud Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2008
    Stillwater, Oklahoma
    I'm sure there have been studies as to what exactly the snood does, but I have never read them. I believe it is just a mating/status tool. Normally it will be small until the strutting. I believe its sort of like the fan, its just an attractant to the hens. Sort of like the thumping.

6. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Yes, I believe it is a mating thing. Kind of a 'my snood is bigger than your snood, so I'm the better male' type of thing. The girls think it's sexy [​IMG]

7. thaiturkey

thaiturkey Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2010
    Thailand
    Quote:In anticipation of your next question ([​IMG]), the feather sticking out of the chest is called the 'beard'. It's usually a male thing too but some owners report hens with beards - much as in the human race I guess. [​IMG]

8. Renee'

Renee' Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2009
    Yucaipa, CA
    Quote:In anticipation of your next question ([​IMG]), the feather sticking out of the chest is called the 'beard'. It's usually a male thing too but some owners report hens with beards - much as in the human race I guess. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. OmaBird

OmaBird Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    CA High Desert
    What does this mean?

[​IMG]

10. thaiturkey

thaiturkey Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2010
    Thailand
    Quote:Is that trick question? [​IMG]