Head hen had trouble passing an egg/now acting off!

Rosie is acting off again…she laid fine about 3 days ago which is normal for her. We typically get about 2-3 eggs a week from her. But today instead of foraging with the other hens she chose to roost inside the henhouse. Once a hen has reproductive issues this may be a common occurrence correct? Is there anything I should or can do to help her with this before she goes downhill? @Wyorp Rock
Did she lay an egg today?
She may be having a hard time expelling an egg. If she roosted all day, then I would work on hydration and get some calcium into her. Once she's drank, offer a little wet food, but she may not want to eat which is ok for the day/night.
Can you tell is she's pooped today?

Did she lay an egg today?
She may be having a hard time expelling an egg. If she roosted all day, then I would work on hydration and get some calcium into her. Once she's drank, offer a little wet food, but she may not want to eat which is ok for the day/night.
Can you tell is she's pooped today?
She hasn’t laid an egg in at least 3 days. I am not sure if she pooped. I saw her at the waterer in her run earlier when I let them all ou to free range, then she chose to roost in the dark henhouse instead of foraging which is unusual for her. I gave her a calcium pill this evening & checked her vent. She had some discharge & redness/broken tail feathers a few inches below her vent & her vent was palpitating when I checked it. I don’t really have the need to check my chickens vents often so I don’t know if that is normal or not. She had the same broken tail feathers & redness below her vent the last time she had an egg break partially inside of her a few months ago.

I’ll treat her again with the calcium and antibiotics. I am concerned that she may get antibiotics too often since the last time was only 3 months ago…but an infection would be worse I assume…
Sounds like she's having the same problem. :(
I didn’t give her antibiotivs after all because today she decided to go forage. I gave her another calcium pill and I’m watching her closely to see if she acts differently. Hopefully she’ll lay an egg in the next day or so and all will be well. If she starts acting off again I’ll give her antibiotics. 🤞🏻

Back
Top Bottom