Head hen had trouble passing an egg/now acting off!

Pandang81

Songster
Sep 5, 2021
South Texas
Our 2 year old hen Rosie was having trouble yesterday evening with an partially broken egg stuck to her bottom and I was able to pull what was left if it off of her but was afraid the rest might be inside of her. Today she acted off all day. She is the head hen & usually busy leading the way but today she stayed perched on the outdoor bar all day shivering a bit (we had a cold front last night) & only got down to eat & drink. This evening when I went to secure the coop she didn’t even want to get off her outdoor roosting bar to go in to her sleeping roosting bar. I have no idea what to do, how to help her or if it is related to that egg that she had trouble passing yesterday evening! Should I bring her in since the temperature will get in the 30’s tonight & my chickens are used to the weather in the 80’s? Or leave to roost with the other chickens like she’s used to? What else can I do to help her?

Our 2 year old hen Rosie was having trouble yesterday evening with an partially broken egg stuck to her bottom and I was able to pull what was left if it off of her but was afraid the rest might be inside of her. Today she acted off all day. She is the head hen & usually busy leading the way but today she stayed perched on the outdoor bar all day shivering a bit (we had a cold front last night) & only got down to eat & drink. This evening when I went to secure the coop she didn’t even want to get off her outdoor roosting bar to go in to her sleeping roosting bar. I have no idea what to do, how to help her or if it is related to that egg that she had trouble passing yesterday evening! Should I bring her in since the temperature will get in the 30’s tonight & my chickens are used to the weather in the 80’s? Or leave to roost with the other chickens like she’s used to? What else can I do to help her?
I would get some Calcium into her. 1 Caltrate tablet once a day.

She may be having trouble passing another egg - the Calcium may help with that. Work on hydrating her, electrolytes or some warmed sugar water.
The Shivering is concerning, I would move her some place warmer.

I would also consider giving an antibiotic if the membrane was broken and there was a possibility the contents of the egg leaked back into the vent and oviduct. I would give Amoxicillin at a dose of 57mg per pound of weight, orally twice a day for 10-14 days.

Yes I see it. That could be egg parts or membrane. I would try to gently remove any membrane and clean her off with a little warm water. The oxytetracycline is alright to use until you get the amoxicillin. It only has to be given every 3 days.

It depends. If she is stressed and very weak, bathing can push them over the edge, and can kill them. Use your judgement. If you can clean her off well enough to let it go until later, do that. An alternative to bathing is to place the hen inside a warm humid room, such as an extra bathroom with some steam. A heating pad on low under neath a towel might be good instead. The calcium can help muscle contraction to help move another egg along if there is one.

It depends. If she is stressed and very weak, bathing can push them over the edge, and can kill them. Use your judgement. If you can clean her off well enough to let it go until later, do that. An alternative to bathing is to place the hen inside a warm humid room, such as an extra bathroom with some steam. A heating pad on low under neath a towel might be good instead. The calcium can help muscle contraction to help move another egg along if there is one.
Thanks. She seems fine. I did use a hot towel to clean her vent & realized when doing so that the reproductive membranes weren’t sticking to her vent, they were hanging lower down her bottom & some feathers were missing & her skin a bit red & puffy in that area. Her vent looked clean & normal. So now I guess we just wait & see if she lays an egg over the next few days while giving her calcium & antibiotics?

It's good they weren't sticking from the vent. Red skin below the vent may be some irritation from urates/getting soiled. You can put a little Hen Healer or NuStock on the skin to help sooth and heal it.
Sometimes it is a wait and see type of thing. Hopefully the medications will help.

It's good they weren't sticking from the vent. Red skin below the vent may be some irritation from urates/getting soiled. You can put a little Hen Healer or NuStock on the skin to help sooth and heal it.
Sometimes it is a wait and see type of thing. Hopefully the medications will help.
So far so good. She has been isolated in a dog crate since yesterday and seems like herself. No more straining to pass an egg or anything since yesterday either and her poop is no longer watery discolored. It’s back to normal shape & color. I have been giving her the calcium citrate once a day. Tomorrow I may put her back with the rest of the hens and just continue antibiotics and calcium from there.

Back
Top Bottom