Head hen had trouble passing an egg/now acting off!

Pandang81

Songster
Sep 5, 2021
South Texas
Our 2 year old hen Rosie was having trouble yesterday evening with an partially broken egg stuck to her bottom and I was able to pull what was left if it off of her but was afraid the rest might be inside of her. Today she acted off all day. She is the head hen & usually busy leading the way but today she stayed perched on the outdoor bar all day shivering a bit (we had a cold front last night) & only got down to eat & drink. This evening when I went to secure the coop she didn’t even want to get off her outdoor roosting bar to go in to her sleeping roosting bar. I have no idea what to do, how to help her or if it is related to that egg that she had trouble passing yesterday evening! Should I bring her in since the temperature will get in the 30’s tonight & my chickens are used to the weather in the 80’s? Or leave to roost with the other chickens like she’s used to? What else can I do to help her?

Our 2 year old hen Rosie was having trouble yesterday evening with an partially broken egg stuck to her bottom and I was able to pull what was left if it off of her but was afraid the rest might be inside of her. Today she acted off all day. She is the head hen & usually busy leading the way but today she stayed perched on the outdoor bar all day shivering a bit (we had a cold front last night) & only got down to eat & drink. This evening when I went to secure the coop she didn’t even want to get off her outdoor roosting bar to go in to her sleeping roosting bar. I have no idea what to do, how to help her or if it is related to that egg that she had trouble passing yesterday evening! Should I bring her in since the temperature will get in the 30’s tonight & my chickens are used to the weather in the 80’s? Or leave to roost with the other chickens like she’s used to? What else can I do to help her?
I would get some Calcium into her. 1 Caltrate tablet once a day.

She may be having trouble passing another egg - the Calcium may help with that. Work on hydrating her, electrolytes or some warmed sugar water.
The Shivering is concerning, I would move her some place warmer.

I would also consider giving an antibiotic if the membrane was broken and there was a possibility the contents of the egg leaked back into the vent and oviduct. I would give Amoxicillin at a dose of 57mg per pound of weight, orally twice a day for 10-14 days.

She may be having trouble passing another egg - the Calcium may help with that. Work on hydrating her, electrolytes or some warmed sugar water.

I would also consider giving an antibiotic if the membrane was broken and there was a possibility the contents of the egg leaked back into the vent and oviduct. I would give Amoxicillin at a dose of 57mg per pound of weight, orally twice a day for 10-14 days.
Thank you. Will work on all of this. How do I administer the calcium to her if she chooses not to eat it?

All of these are in stock at my local feed store. Will any if these work for the antibiotic?
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/search/antibiotics?filter=3u|PickupInStoreToday

I gave her 1/2 ml of oxytetracycline & a calcium tablet. She is eating & drinking & in good spirits indoors for now. She just seems to be trying to expel either another egg or content from the last egg that broke out. Forgive the gross pic but here is what she expelled about an hour after I gave her the calcium tablet. Also a pic of her.

Attachments

• A48EA1B2-153C-4EF4-8BFA-5DFEC4F0BD38.jpeg
    A48EA1B2-153C-4EF4-8BFA-5DFEC4F0BD38.jpeg
    494.3 KB · Views: 7
  • 264515CE-05C3-43A1-9997-E7526D4AB8A0.jpeg
    264515CE-05C3-43A1-9997-E7526D4AB8A0.jpeg
    463.5 KB · Views: 7
  • E23F8884-E6D0-4F05-BF89-B81A384C309B.jpeg
    E23F8884-E6D0-4F05-BF89-B81A384C309B.jpeg
    526.3 KB · Views: 7

Back
Top Bottom