Head hen had trouble passing an egg/now acting off!

I’ll treat her again with the calcium and antibiotics. I am concerned that she may get antibiotics too often since the last time was only 3 months ago…but an infection would be worse I assume…
Sounds like she's having the same problem. :(
I didn’t give her antibiotivs after all because today she decided to go forage. I gave her another calcium pill and I’m watching her closely to see if she acts differently. Hopefully she’ll lay an egg in the next day or so and all will be well. If she starts acting off again I’ll give her antibiotics. 🤞🏻

I would get some Calcium into her. 1 Caltrate tablet once a day.

She may be having trouble passing another egg - the Calcium may help with that. Work on hydrating her, electrolytes or some warmed sugar water.
The Shivering is concerning, I would move her some place warmer.

I would also consider giving an antibiotic if the membrane was broken and there was a possibility the contents of the egg leaked back into the vent and oviduct. I would give Amoxicillin at a dose of 57mg per pound of weight, orally twice a day for 10-14 days.
Thank you. Will work on all of this. How do I administer the calcium to her if she chooses not to eat it?

She may be having trouble passing another egg - the Calcium may help with that. Work on hydrating her, electrolytes or some warmed sugar water.

I would also consider giving an antibiotic if the membrane was broken and there was a possibility the contents of the egg leaked back into the vent and oviduct. I would give Amoxicillin at a dose of 57mg per pound of weight, orally twice a day for 10-14 days.
All of these are in stock at my local feed store. Will any if these work for the antibiotic?
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/search/antibiotics?filter=3u|PickupInStoreToday

I gave her 1/2 ml of oxytetracycline & a calcium tablet. She is eating & drinking & in good spirits indoors for now. She just seems to be trying to expel either another egg or content from the last egg that broke out. Forgive the gross pic but here is what she expelled about an hour after I gave her the calcium tablet. Also a pic of her.

Attachments

• A48EA1B2-153C-4EF4-8BFA-5DFEC4F0BD38.jpeg
    A48EA1B2-153C-4EF4-8BFA-5DFEC4F0BD38.jpeg
    494.3 KB · Views: 7
  • 264515CE-05C3-43A1-9997-E7526D4AB8A0.jpeg
    264515CE-05C3-43A1-9997-E7526D4AB8A0.jpeg
    463.5 KB · Views: 7
  • E23F8884-E6D0-4F05-BF89-B81A384C309B.jpeg
    E23F8884-E6D0-4F05-BF89-B81A384C309B.jpeg
    526.3 KB · Views: 7
For reproductive infections, I prefer to use amoxicillin or enrofloxacin. Those are not usually available at feedstores.
I did order some amoxicillin but in meantime got her started on intravenous oxytetracycline 1/2 ml dose. It’s supposed to treat both gram negative & positive bacteria infection. Did you see the pics above? She’s sitting in the dog crate definitely low energy & very quiet but doesn’t seem overly uncomfortable or Ill. Eggish discharge hanging from her vent.

Am I giving the correct dose of amoxicillin? She is approximately 8lbs & I am giving her one 500mg pill per day.

Please help me i never had a chicken go thru egg binding im scared. Ive soaked her gave her calcium antibiotics etc
On your other thread, you were given good advice by coach723. She looks to be molting now, and may not be laying. I would try giving the NutriDrench orally for a few days, and try to get her to eat some moistened chicken feed, scrambled egg, or tuna for protein. Does her lower belly feel enlarged or tight?

Back
Top Bottom