Head Louse picture and natural treatments please.

mamasnowwolf

Chirping
Feb 23, 2021
Hi all,
In checking my birds, my son found one hen (8 ish years old) that had small white bugs crawling around her eye.We collected a sample and found head louse. It doesn't appear to be on the other birds, but we are having winter storm now and can't get out to really examine them. I read Diatomaceous earth, some essential oils, and possibly garlic to help control the mites. Has anyone had success with a more holistic approach?

Attachments

• tempImageeSlAC7.png
    tempImageeSlAC7.png
    4.2 MB · Views: 15
  • tempImagexoKQwi.png
    tempImagexoKQwi.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 6
You might find this Post for treatment of poultry lice helpful :)
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/lice-how-do-i-treat-and-what-to-use.1514451/post-25479151

Permethrin based dust and spray can be found in stores like TSC.
Dust can be used in cold weather no problem. Just dump some in a sock so it's easier to apply. Tap the sock onto the feathers of the bird and work it from the feathers down to the skin.
Clean out housing and dust or spray. If cold, then work dust into crevices and roosting bars. Get some spray and treat when the weather is more agreeable. Cold weather does not kill bugs.

Diatomaceous earth isn't safe to breath and there are no oil's that will take care of the problem ( some might help keep it under control but not gone) and most oils are toxic to chickens. permethrine dust us your best bet as, just like a mouse problem, if you see one, it's already a pretty bad infestation.

Back
Top Bottom