Head Pecking and Vaseline?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Racegun, Nov 30, 2014.

1. Racegun

Racegun New Egg

May 15, 2014
    We have a new mature couple and could not be more thrilled. Clyde has a wonderful crow, Bonnie is just beautiful even if she does whine at being in a new place. The problem is the headpecking. Someone did it to Clyde and now Bonnie seems to be carrying it on. I sprayed Clyde's head with vetracin VF. Bonnie was almost taking another peck when she stopped as though she could tell there was something there she didn't like the taste of at all. We were wondering if spraying the spot again at their bedtime and adding a little bit of Vaseline would also act as a deterrent. And I've already read all the posts concerning pecking and the various but insufficient remedies so let us not beat that horse all over again.

Genie
    Princeton, Texas

2. ThePRfan

ThePRfan Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2014
    Maybe try taking him until it heals then reintroduce them.

3. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    As long as you're watching these new birds, when she goes for his head, holler "NO!" real loudly. It will startle her, and interrupt her intent. Keep repeating it until she focuses on something else.

I've been doing this with my flock when I see picking. It's been remarkably effective.

1 person likes this.
  4. pdirt

pdirt Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2013
    Eastern WA
    Do you have other chickens in your flock, or just Bonnie and Clyde?

5. Marko Marko

Marko Marko New Egg

Feb 24, 2015
    Arwen also likes to enforce the "rules." (What she thinks are rules). Once she realizes that chickens have to stay in the yard I am hoping she will automatically herd them back to the house or "tell on them" with barking. She does this with the cat so I think I will be able to transfer the behavior to the chickens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by