1. Jmurcks

Jmurcks Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 30, 2009
    North Alabama
    I have a question...
    I know the general rule of 3-4 sq. foot per chicken but what about head room?
    I mean obviously tall enough for them to stand in but it seems something really tall would be wasted space...
    Thanks!

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I love being able to stand up in my coop.

3. feathersnuggles

feathersnuggles Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2009
    Seattle
    For roosting at night - they feel safe up higher.

And I agree, being able to stand up in the coop - especially when it's raining outside - is really nice!

4. chookchick

chookchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2008
    Olympia WA
    Well you can make a coop that is only 2' high, with a roost only 4" off the floor. But I tell you, it is a pain in the neck to clean. I would only make it that small if it is a "baby" or quarantine coop for a couple of birds. (Mine is 4 by 4 by 2')

5. Ernie

Ernie Out Of The Brooder

Aug 19, 2009
    Seattle, WA
    I agree, our temporary coop was only 2' high and was a big pain to clean, and seemed confined for the chickens. I love being able to stand up inside our new coop and I can definitely tell that our girls are happier with more room to roam (vertically and horizontally).

6. The Chicken People

The Chicken People Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Smithville, Mo
    I Love being able to stand in my coop and love the girls! Their run is just as tall!

7. Sammimom

Sammimom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    Sammamish,WA
    My husband and I are both tall, and I have lower back "issues," so it is wonderful to stand up and be at eye level with the chickens, and have minimal bending for cleaning.

8. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    i made the mistake of putting up a 4' tall kennel pen, thinking that it would be fine as the chickens are short. But . . . i'm not. It was awkward and uncomfortable trying to get inside to open and close the coop door every day. Then when i had a bout of sciatica, i thought i would die trying to maneuver myself in there. i ended up adding onto the top and spent more money than i would have had i bought a 6' tall kennel in the first place.

9. jacyjones

jacyjones Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2008
    Aberystwyth, Wales
    Our first chicken shed was about 4' tall and was very difficult to clean. When we replaced it our priority was to get one we could stand up in and it makes life so much easier!!

10. Ldyjarhead

Ldyjarhead Out Of The Brooder

Nov 11, 2009
    South/Central OH
    Quote:Newbie here that doesn't even have chickens yet, but don't you need to consider roost height as compared to ventilation area? If the height of the coop isn't tall enough for the roost to keep them away from the draft of ventilation, it would need to be taller.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by