Head Shaking and Lethargy? Help?

ChickenGirl555

Crowing
5 Years
Oct 22, 2017
Wisconsin
My Coop
My Coop
I have a White Laced Red Cornish Bantam who’s a little less than a year old, and she’s been perfectly happy and normal until about 2-3 days ago. I started noticing she didn’t leave the coop much when all the others greeted me. She sits in corners or under things in the coop and twitches her head like she’s drying it off, but does it quickly and 20-30+ times rapidly with not even a second break between each. Usually she’s a bit timid when I pick her up, but now I can grab her without a fight and she acts kinda “solid”, you know? She doesn’t react much to me or acts like she couldn’t care less which is unusual and not just being friendly. I haven’t watched for poops/pooping, and I won’t take her to a vet, so what can I do? What is this? Should I quarantine/cull her? I’m awfully busy and won’t be able to until tomorrow night, unfortunately, so I hope this is ok? Otherwise please reply soon if I should bring her inside. It’s snowing up here tonight so will that impact her health? I’m mostly worried about the rest of my birds at this point, but also want her to make a full recovery.

Yes, this could be contagious. Yes, the hen is sick. Yes, bringing her in where it's warmer will help. It will also make it easier for you to treat and observe her without risking your own health and safety in a possible developing blizzard.

The head shaking indicates pain and discomfort. I suggest inspecting her ears carefully as the violent head shaking could indicate an ear infection. You will need someone to hold her wrapped tightly in a towel to confine wings and feet, while you look into her ears with a strong light. The ears are the little holes behind those tiny flaps on the sides of her head.

Look for swelling, crust clogging the ear holes, swelling of the facial tissue, discharge from the eyes or bubbling, and look deep into her throat and check the inside of her mouth for scummy plaque.

If you find any of these things, this chicken may have a respiratory disease. If it's confined to only the ears, you can clean out the ear with peroxide or mineral oil, and stuff some Neosporin into the ear holes. If there are symptoms beyond the ears, she will need an antibiotic such as Tylosin. https://homelabvet.com/product/tyclosin-500-30g/

AA4EE942-8041-4058-A113-7BCCB051D25B.png

I brought her inside and she seems to have stopped shaking her head. Could the cold have just been the problem?

Back
Top Bottom