Head Shaking Then Quickly Dead

Thanks Dawg for that link I will check it out, I have know from the second report (they sent 4) that Cocci was it but I wanted to make sure the findings didn't suggest anything else before posting. I have been doing a lot of reading on it and treated everyone.

Maybe I worded wrong. The thiamine deficiency is what I found upon reading about medicated feed. When researching Cocci I started looking at things that involved feed and came across the quote about thiamine deficiency and the thing that hit home with me and I couldn't find in other peoples symptons is the head tremors mine are experiencing.

I would just like to know other's reasons why or why not to use medicated chick feed. Just seems like maybe is adding to the problem... Just not 100% on that yet..... Learning as I go.....
Maybe even some more tips like what you are suggesting about adding things to make up for that B1 loss. I have the survivors of that group that died, their are 4 left in that group and they still are doing the head tremor thing so I am sure I do need to add something.

When you say supplementation needs to be aggressive, please give me all I should do lol Still some awesome birds in that group.

OK sorry if rambling its just a little over whelming starting on something I haven't ever done or experienced before.

Thanks all.

hugs.gif

Sorry, I am having a bad day for this it seems. I misunderstood. So the necropsy points to Cocci as the cause of death? What does it say exactly?

If Amprollium acts by blocking, how could it not be possible to cause a deficiency? Not being a smart...you know.... only trying to absorb others input....

Also are you for or against medicated chick feed? I am not some huge operation, my numbers may be bigger then some, a lot smaller then others. When I read somewhere its good to use that I wanted to be "good" to my chickens. Not cause problems. My biggest I still believe is the improper quarantine practice but can't help but wonder if I went wrong on the choice of using that also after what I have read......
I don't use medicated feed anymore because I have seen that it doesn't really help prevent cocci. I haven't had any cases when I used it, or for the last few years hatching new chicks. I would recommend just keeping a bottle of Corid on the shelf if chicks develop symptoms. I recommend putting vitamins in the water 3 days a week just to make sure in case feed is deficient in vitamins. If medicated feed caused vitamin deficiency, I really believe the industry would stop it's use, but commercial chicken farms are the ones that really use it. Sorry again about your chicken.

Did the finding suggest coccidiosis was the cause? The decision to use medicated or non-medicated is a personal choice,medicated feed will not prevent a overload/outbreak of coccidiosis and it will not cause thiamine deficiency in chicks.

Medicated feed is more like an insurance policy and is intended to work like one,for example,you have house insurance to protect against damage,but the insurance policy does not guarantee that a storm will not hit and destroy your home. This is how medicated feed works,it slowly builds resistance to coccidiosis,but does not guarantee that chick will not have an overload and require a more concentrated does of amprolium to bring coccidia back under control. The same can happen with non-medicated feed,the only difference is that when using non-medicated feed,you are not under any illusions that chicks are "safe" and will treat immediately upon seeing any symptoms.

The best advice is to always have Amprolium on hand and treat immediately,even if you are not sure b/c treating will not harm chicks,but waiting may cause deaths.

I use medicated feed,but i am also very well versed in all symptoms and treat even if i am unsure. I have never lost any chicks by following this policy. I also give a preventative dose of amprolium when my birds are first put outside for a couple of weeks and then monitor them forever b/c coccidiosis can be spread by just about everything.

I have also used amprolium with medicated feed,my reasons were that i wanted to be sure chicks were getting enough amprolium even if not drinking properly. I have had only one group of chicks come down with coccidiosis,they were my silkies and i had purchased them from a breeder,but i knew within approx 2 hours something was not right,so in went the amprolium,good thing b/c about an hour later i saw blood on shavings. They all survived and i have never had any problems since.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom