head slammed by door help!!!

crazylilchick

Chirping
12 Years
Mar 31, 2007
Missouri
I am freaking out. I was closing the pop hole a few minutes ago, had one chicken in my arms and one was sitting on the lip of the pop hole looking out. As I tried to close it and push the chicken back at the same time, it accidentally slipped out of my hands and slammed shut, smacking her in the head. I didn't catch it in time because of the chicken under my arm. STUPID STUPID STUPID!!! She is a 12 week old white crested black polish. She wasn't smashed in the door instead her head was hit by it, like getting hit with a baseball bat.It was a very hard hit. The door is 13"x13" piece of plywood and it was up at about 90 degrees when it slipped. She stumbled backwards a few steps and then lay down. I don't see any bleeding. She did fuss a little when I picked her up but then got very quiet and didn't struggle while I held her. (not normal) It was getting dark outside and she seemed to be sleeping in my arms. Which she has never done before. I don't know how badly she is hurt! Is she in shock? Dose she have a concussion? I brought her inside and put her in a box with some wood chips. When I put her inside she sat down and held her head up for a minute then dropped her beak to the ground and seemed to go to sleep again. We put some water in with her and turned to light off so she would sleep. Is there anything I can do for her? I feel sooooooooo awful.

Help Help Help

I am so sorry!
sad.png

I am sure others will be along soon to hopefully help. The only thing I can think is that it most likely is not a good outlook for your girl. I am shooting in the dark and know nothing about chicken concussions but, I do know that if a baby or toddler or even a child has a head injury, that falling asleep is not good. I am seriously just guessing here: maybe make periodic, GENTLE interaction with her to stimulate a bit of brain activity. That is just a guess, and if it becomes too stressful for her to just let her rest in a quiet room.

best wishes

Oh how terrible! I'm so sorry. The polish chickens have very delicate skulls so the outlook for your girl isn't good. I'd say let her sleep, but wake her up every once in a while to check on her and get her blood pressure up a little. If she is in shock, that will be helpful. Make sure she cannot pass out into the water dish somehow- she might not be able to wake up if she inhaled water. However, a bit of sugar water is a good idea to keep her energy level a little higher after the trauma.

Try not to be too hard on yourself. It was an accident.

-MTchick

update:

Poor chick has made it through the night. Maybe there is hope. I think I'll keep her in the box today with some suger water and food and see how it goes. If she survives I may seperate her and her twin sister away from the others for a while. Her sister is the one that was under my arm last night, someone has pecked a bloody bald spot on the top of her poofy head. Poor babies. I never thought I would get this attached to CHICKENS! Boy I hope she makes it through this.

Thank you to the two who responded.

Don't feel bad accidents happen, last night while trying to shut mine in one got a little squished between the door, but not hard at all and I still freaked out. She was perfectly fine but I was imagining how bad it "could've" been. They are fast and fragile little buggers when they're small.

Hope yours is okay.
smile.png

So glad she made it through the night!:aww
For sure, keep her and her sister in the chickie hospital!
Sorry, I can't remember if you posted about the sister. Some folks use Neosporin on boo boos like that.

Don't give her sugar water for too long- she could become dehydrated from the sugar. I'd guess 24 hours is plenty and then go back to fresh water. The last thing you want is a chicken with a concussion AND dehydration!

Glad to hear she made it through the night. Keep doing what you are doing and maybe she'll be just fine.

-MTchick

I'm glad that she made it though the night too...I once closed Tom's head in the door and I was a wreck so I know how that is...Obelisk did a flying header into the window, jiggled her non-existant marbles a bit...but they both recovered fine.
I'd put her sister in with her, even if it's just for company...
Good luck with them.

Update:

Looks like she is going to make it.
big_smile.png
I put her sister in with her for company. Sister had a pecked head anyway. I'm going to keep them in the chicken hospital for a little longer to be sure. Gosh I thought for sure I had killed her. Still feeling really bad about the whole thing. I'll have to give her some special treats and maybe she'll forgive me. Boy I'm really going to be extra careful around them all from now on. Thank you all for your support.

Back
Top Bottom