Head trauma or broken beak? Please Help!

Bob's Leaning Coop

Hatching
8 Years
May 22, 2011
I found one of my girls with what looks like a broken beak- the bottom side goes off to the side and the top is normal, she also has blood coming out of her nostrils. I am wondering if she flew into the side of the coop.
sad.png
To make matters others were starting to eat the feathers off the top of her head. I'm not sure she is going to make it, but would like to try to help her if I can. Right now, I have her in a crate with a heat lamp, some yoghurt and water with antibiotics...Any help or ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Sounds like she has had some kind of head trauma, I would for sure keep her separated from the rest of the flock till she recovers. Keeping her quite and warm with fresh water and food will be the best for her right now. If you have electrolytes you might try mixing some in her water. Don't know as i would give antibiotics when your not sure whats wrong yet. sorry you had to find us under these circumstances but
welcome-byc.gif
p.s. with her beak like it is you might have to offer her very soft foods for a while baby food or chick feed made into a mush might be best. All the best to you.

Last edited:
Does she have an open wound on her scalp where they were picking feathers? If she does put some antibiotic ointment on it. Is she able to move her lower beak? Maybe some Poly-vi-sol. A few drops (1 or 2) into the beak if she can open it, if not, then into the water to help her stay strong. Good luck and keep us posted!

Well we tried to save her but I think it was to bad. She passed away about and hour ago.
Thank you very much for all your help.
Rob

Back
Top Bottom