Head tremor

You can do either way. If you give it slowly and let her swallow, no more than .5 ml at a time, you can do in the front of the beak. You don't want to squirt it forcefully or do too much at once that way or she could aspirate it. Or you can do the syringe farther back, to avoid that.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...dications-to-all-poultry-and-waterfowl.73335/

You can do either way. If you give it slowly and let her swallow, no more than .5 ml at a time, you can do in the front of the beak. You don't want to squirt it forcefully or do too much at once that way or she could aspirate it. Or you can do the syringe farther back, to avoid that.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...dications-to-all-poultry-and-waterfowl.73335/
Just checked on her to give her food and she does not look good. No interest in food and barely able to keep her eyes open :( I'm not sure she'll make its through the day.

Get the oral dose into her, and then give her some of the medicated water orally as often as you can through today, every 20-30 minutes if you can. The meds can't work if they don't get in. That is what I would do, at least give her a chance.

Get the oral dose into her, and then give her some of the medicated water orally as often as you can through today, every 20-30 minutes if you can. The meds can't work if they don't get in. That is what I would do, at least give her a chance.
Ok. I got the oral dose in her and will get her the medicated water as often as I can. Thankful I work from home so I can do it. Fingers crossed she pulls through.

Ok. I got the oral dose in her and will get her the medicated water as often as I can. Thankful I work from home so I can do it. Fingers crossed she pulls through.
Sorry that she is doing poorly, but I hope that she gets better. I would check with your state vet lab today, and ask about how to get a necropsy on your hen in case you lose her. They can perform a necropsy /autopsy and do testing to look for what might have been wrong. The body should be skeptical cold, not frozen in a cooler with ice. Most state labs are open M-F, so timing is important. Here is a list of state labs:
https://www.metzerfarms.com/poultry-labs.html

Sorry that she is doing poorly, but I hope that she gets better. I would check with your state vet lab today, and ask about how to get a necropsy on your hen in case you lose her. They can perform a necropsy /autopsy and do testing to look for what might have been wrong. The body should be skeptical cold, not frozen in a cooler with ice. Most state labs are open M-F, so timing is important. Here is a list of state labs:
https://www.metzerfarms.com/poultry-labs.html
Thank you. I had pulled up their information the other day and luckily there's one fairly close to me. Unfortunately, when out giving her the syringe medicine water, I just discovered what I think are lice. Not sure if that happened because she has been in a crate and not able to dust bath. Not exactly sure what to do about that.

Thank you. I had pulled up their information the other day and luckily there's one fairly close to me. Unfortunately, when out giving her the syringe medicine water, I just discovered what I think are lice. Not sure if that happened because she has been in a crate and not able to dust bath. Not exactly sure what to do about that.
drat.. the place by me is not taking any birds so she would need to be shipped to the other side of the state.

Many of the state labs can send you a prepaid shipping label for Fedex or UPS for overnight shipping, if you ask. Lice can be treated with Permethrin garden dust, found in most feed stores. They also sell Permethrin 10 concentrate to add to water 1 tsp per quart in a spray bottle to use for treating skin for lice, and for treating the coop once all bedding is removed. Repeat either treatment in 10 days. The coop spray will last for 30 days. Check your other chickens for lice as well.

Sadly, Reba passed yesterday evening. 😢 Thank you @Eggcessive, @coach723, and everyone for the support and help. I've learned so much from this, and I'm sure I'll be able to use that knowledge with my remaining girls. First steps will be to finish their Corid treatment, check them for lice, and treat the coop and them (if needed). Thank you again.

Back
Top Bottom