Head Tremors, Not Acting Himself

Hello, I know this thread is older, but I wanted to reply to it because I have a gander who is by all appearances doing the exact same thing!
Firstly, it’s wonderful that your Bailey got better!
Would you be willing to share what “treatment” you did for him? Or did he just get better on his own?
My gander is a 3.5 - 4.5 yr. old Sebastopol, new to me this past summer. I noticed the odd head-wobbling (from back to front, not side to side) seemed to start first, then I noticed that his body seems unsteady. But this is really only when he stands still. His droppings seem fine. His feathers seem a bit dull, and he just plain seems a bit edgy and inclined to stay inside. But in all other ways he acts normal.
I am planning to change their food in case of mold toxins — though I have no particular reason to suspect it.
Thank you!!

Hello, I know this thread is older, but I wanted to reply to it because I have a gander who is by all appearances doing the exact same thing!
Firstly, it’s wonderful that your Bailey got better!
Would you be willing to share what “treatment” you did for him? Or did he just get better on his own?
My gander is a 3.5 - 4.5 yr. old Sebastopol, new to me this past summer. I noticed the odd head-wobbling (from back to front, not side to side) seemed to start first, then I noticed that his body seems unsteady. But this is really only when he stands still. His droppings seem fine. His feathers seem a bit dull, and he just plain seems a bit edgy and inclined to stay inside. But in all other ways he acts normal.
I am planning to change their food in case of mold toxins — though I have no particular reason to suspect it.
Thank you!!
I know I’m not the OP but I want to add some helpful information.

Vitamin deficiencies can cause neurological disorders, molds can definitly do so also, lead and zinc poisoning are potential causes, another is and organ issues, parrot fever, or a stroke. Geese can recover from a stroke in many cases given time and care, with other problems a vet is really the best choice to get to the bottom of it and treat it, especially if it’s something contagious.
If it’s a case of poisoning be it from metals or molds, or something like parrot fever cleansing and protecting the organs are top priority.
You can give him extra foods that are high in antioxidants like blueberries, strawberries, blackberries, carrots, and pumpkin and kale which can also help push anything bad out of his digestive system. Watery foods like melons, cucumber, and tomatoes are great too. Giving him some b vitamin complex can give his body a healing boost and help to protect his organs. Adding fresh grapefruit juice to his water can boost his vitamin c intake and has a healing effect on the liver.
I’ve used Lily of the desert aloe detox as a liver cleanse on my gander after he swallowed zinc paint and he was taking the small dog dosage of denamarin, he did seem to benefit from both.

I know I’m not the OP but I want to add some helpful information.

Vitamin deficiencies can cause neurological disorders, molds can definitly do so also, lead and zinc poisoning are potential causes, another is and organ issues, parrot fever, or a stroke. Geese can recover from a stroke in many cases given time and care, with other problems a vet is really the best choice to get to the bottom of it and treat it, especially if it’s something contagious.
If it’s a case of poisoning be it from metals or molds, or something like parrot fever cleansing and protecting the organs are top priority.
You can give him extra foods that are high in antioxidants like blueberries, strawberries, blackberries, carrots, and pumpkin and kale which can also help push anything bad out of his digestive system. Watery foods like melons, cucumber, and tomatoes are great too. Giving him some b vitamin complex can give his body a healing boost and help to protect his organs. Adding fresh grapefruit juice to his water can boost his vitamin c intake and has a healing effect on the liver.
I’ve used Lily of the desert aloe detox as a liver cleanse on my gander after he swallowed zinc paint and he was taking the small dog dosage of denamarin, he did seem to benefit from both.
Thank you for the info.!

Yeah, we had a goose last year that crashed BAD during the winter- He had become unsteady and we kept finding him laying down in random places and we realized he couldn't get up. We'd have to help him up. It was like his legs would just kick out from under him and he'd be on his belly. We eventually brought him inside and kept him in our bath tub and tube fed him some baby parrot food (the kaytee exact stuff) at the suggestion of another member because he had gotten thin and was refusing feed AND grass, and we also were giving him b12 mixed in with it. It took awhile but he did fully recover, and he looks fantastic this year, so all we can guess is that he had a big vitamin deficiency somehow (It was weird, our other goose and ducks were all fine). I hope you can figure out what's wrong with your goose and get them help!

Yeah, we had a goose last year that crashed BAD during the winter- He had become unsteady and we kept finding him laying down in random places and we realized he couldn't get up. We'd have to help him up. It was like his legs would just kick out from under him and he'd be on his belly. We eventually brought him inside and kept him in our bath tub and tube fed him some baby parrot food (the kaytee exact stuff) at the suggestion of another member because he had gotten thin and was refusing feed AND grass, and we also were giving him b12 mixed in with it. It took awhile but he did fully recover, and he looks fantastic this year, so all we can guess is that he had a big vitamin deficiency somehow (It was weird, our other goose and ducks were all fine). I hope you can figure out what's wrong with your goose and get them help!
Thanks! I'm glad your gander got better!
It is really weird when one goose acts unwell and the other is fine.
At the moment, my gander, Ivan, is still moving/eating almost like normal. @Goosebaby mentioned kidney problems/gout earlier in this thread. I strongly suspect that my gander had gout this past summer, so I'm planning to try to treat along those lines and go back to the fairly intense rotation of vitamins/brewer's yeast/cider vinegar that I was doing when I thought he had gout. (He got a weird lump at the base of his toe that showed no signs of being bumblefoot. He limped for a while, then the lump went away and he was fine.) Also, I started feeding them pellets a while ago (they were getting only whole wheat and oats in the summer when there was grass), so I'm planning to lower the protein level by feeding fewer pellets.
I guess I'll just wait and see! :)

He really just recovered on his own. I wish I had great advice. We checked the grass for anything they could've swallowed, and we added ACV to their water as well. There were so many possibilities that we didn't know where to start. We had looked for a vet but have no poultry vets nearby. We'd just gotten nutridench when he started recovering. We gave him blueberries for a few days too. I hope your goose improves, I'm sorry they're under the weather :(

Thanks! I'm glad your gander got better!
It is really weird when one goose acts unwell and the other is fine.
At the moment, my gander, Ivan, is still moving/eating almost like normal. @Goosebaby mentioned kidney problems/gout earlier in this thread. I strongly suspect that my gander had gout this past summer, so I'm planning to try to treat along those lines and go back to the fairly intense rotation of vitamins/brewer's yeast/cider vinegar that I was doing when I thought he had gout. (He got a weird lump at the base of his toe that showed no signs of being bumblefoot. He limped for a while, then the lump went away and he was fine.) Also, I started feeding them pellets a while ago (they were getting only whole wheat and oats in the summer when there was grass), so I'm planning to lower the protein level by feeding fewer pellets.
I guess I'll just wait and see! :)
I have a goose that has chronic kidney issues, I’ve been giving her tart cherry extract capsules and she’s shown improvement.

He really just recovered on his own. I wish I had great advice. We checked the grass for anything they could've swallowed, and we added ACV to their water as well. There were so many possibilities that we didn't know where to start. We had looked for a vet but have no poultry vets nearby. We'd just gotten nutridench when he started recovering. We gave him blueberries for a few days too. I hope your goose improves, I'm sorry they're under the weather :(
Thanks so much for sharing! Those things are good to know. I have no idea whether my gander would eat blueberries or not, but maybe I’ll try it! Thanks very much for the good wishes.

Thanks so much for sharing! Those things are good to know. I have no idea whether my gander would eat blueberries or not, but maybe I’ll try it! Thanks very much for the good wishes.

I didn't know either, but it was recommended by someone on here! We put a bowl of frozen blueberries in their chicken tractor at night :)

Back
Top Bottom