Headache on shipping ducklings?

nao57

Crowing
Mar 28, 2020
Question;

I had ordered ducklings from a company. Things looked like they were going well. 2 days ago (Tuesday), I got a message that they were overnighting them to me. They said I should get them Thursday. Today is Thursday.

The mail came. No mail pickup notice. (There should be a card of call to go pick them up at the post office.) Nothing.

Getting worried I went to the post office, and they said no live poultry chicks etc came in.

My question is would they even be able to survive another day in the mail (to Friday), which would be a full 3 days?

Its not the company that sent thems fault. And I don't want to get upset at them. As far as I can tell they did good. And I was actually amazed that they could get them earlier to me than any of the other companies, which were way backed up. (Also, they were black runner ducklings.)(And hoping they will be quieter than pekings. Pekings seem to not be too noisy, but when they do start quacking its louder than the smaller runner that I have. This is why I was hoping to transitition to runners also.)

But I'm so frustrated. I'm already having to start over because the ducks from Cal Ranch turned out to be almost all boys. (no eggs.)

It also seems like the shipping quotes from that company were implying 2 days max. When did the post office get like this? (Overnight means half a week now?)

What company, and how old are the ducklings? They should be able to survive 3-4 days in transit if day olds. Some place put a food based gel in the box as well. Most poultry shipments take 3-4 days to reach me. I have never gotten them the next day even though they are sent express.

Question;

I had ordered ducklings from a company. Things looked like they were going well. 2 days ago (Tuesday), I got a message that they were overnighting them to me. They said I should get them Thursday. Today is Thursday.

The mail came. No mail pickup notice. (There should be a card of call to go pick them up at the post office.) Nothing.

Getting worried I went to the post office, and they said no live poultry chicks etc came in.

My question is would they even be able to survive another day in the mail (to Friday), which would be a full 3 days?

Its not the company that sent thems fault. And I don't want to get upset at them. As far as I can tell they did good. And I was actually amazed that they could get them earlier to me than any of the other companies, which were way backed up. (Also, they were black runner ducklings.)(And hoping they will be quieter than pekings. Pekings seem to not be too noisy, but when they do start quacking its louder than the smaller runner that I have. This is why I was hoping to transitition to runners also.)

But I'm so frustrated. I'm already having to start over because the ducks from Cal Ranch turned out to be almost all boys. (no eggs.)

It also seems like the shipping quotes from that company were implying 2 days max. When did the post office get like this? (Overnight means half a week now?)
I think the babies would be fine. Most companies put in a food gel so if they get hungry or thirst they'll eat that. I got mine from metzer farms and they came in 3 days with a green food gel.

I think the babies would be fine. Most companies put in a food gel so if they get hungry or thirst they'll eat that. I got mine from metzer farms and they came in 3 days with a green food gel.

A green food gel?

Nice.

I hope it will work then. I didn't know about that gel stuff. Its kind of cool.

I'm hoping they put in the gel calculated on how many animals are in there, and not just wing it?

What hatchery did you order from?

Did you get a tracking number?

Here all live animals are kept at the post office and our post office calls the number the shipper put on the box to let the recipient know they have arrived.

Thanks.

Strombergs.

Hi!

Yeah, they came this morning. I picked them up about 2 hours ago.

The order was for 12 of them. There were 15 in the box. But already 6 are dead, 1 has niacin like seizures, and there's about 3 more that look really weak.

I'm trying to figure out how to use my phone camera. And hope to put up pics.

I'm wondering how do you tell 'sleepy' from 'too weak to survive'? Any thoughts on this? (regarding brand new ducklings). I will try to post pics within an hour.

Back
Top Bottom