Headache on shipping ducklings?

So sorry to hear about your losses. Waiting for ducklings to arrive via mail is sooo stressful. Can you call the hatchery about replacing them?

The sugar water idea is pretty brilliant. Add that to my “I learn something new everyday about ducks” list.

So sorry to hear about your losses. Waiting for ducklings to arrive via mail is sooo stressful. Can you call the hatchery about replacing them?

The sugar water idea is pretty brilliant. Add that to my “I learn something new everyday about ducks” list.

Thanks I'll do that.

I still like this hatchery. I hope people don't think bad of them.

Utah also our summer heat is atrocious because its dry heat, not a lot of green out here also. So if someone else had shipped them, I think it would have been the same result.

Wondering what's up with the post office people though.

I'm a type 1 diabetic. When a diabetic gets low blood sugar and they don't eat something they will eventually have seizures, and than eventually die as the body is starved of energy.

Shipped poultry is living on the absorbed egg yolk which will sustain them for 2-4 days generally. After that they are out of energy and will have low blood sugar. I always give my shipped poultry the sugar water mixture the first day or two to help them get some quick energy.

Birds that have low blood sugar will many times not eat which would help too, but they are physically unable to do so because the brain, and body has no energy. They get so low in energy that they just give up. I've been there. :)

People like to do the electrolytes which is fine too as it contains glucose. The brown sugar is an old timer remedy from before electrolytes were a thing. I've revived quite a few by making them drink and giving it time to work.

This is amazing that you know so much, after learning from your own adversity.

Also follow up question; does it matter which type of sugar it is? You mentioned brown sugar, but I'm curious if it mattered if it was that type of sugar or some other.

This is amazing that you know so much, after learning from your own adversity.

Also follow up question; does it matter which type of sugar it is? You mentioned brown sugar, but I'm curious if it mattered if it was that type of sugar or some other.
I don't know for sure, but I doubt sugar type would matter. Brown sugar seems to dissolve the best in water to me, and I probably initially read it somewhere a long time ago. You could probably use other quick sugar sources like karo syrup, molasses, or honey, but I've always used brown sugar which contains a slightly higher content of iron, calcium, and potassium, so it's kinda like an electrolyte solution.

If you fed this to the ducklings for longer than a day can’t that also mess up their blood sugar. I just wonder because when we received our Runner ducklings last year I’m pretty sure they rec offering the sugar water only when you first get them home.

If you fed this to the ducklings for longer than a day can’t that also mess up their blood sugar. I just wonder because when we received our Runner ducklings last year I’m pretty sure they rec offering the sugar water only when you first get them home.
I've always offered for the first day or two, than back to plain water. I only use it on shipped poultry. It's just what I have always done.

An animal or human that doesn't have diabetes will be able to metabolize the sugar. It makes for zippy young poultry sometimes. :)

Back
Top Bottom