Heading into Fall... The coop

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by auxranch, Sep 3, 2013.

1. auxranch

auxranch Out Of The Brooder

Jul 10, 2013
    Aurora Oregon
    Ok guys since I'm new to chickens how warm does my coop need to be at night. I'm in Oregon so it gets into the high fifties low sixties during the fall. My coop has side flaps on it that I've kept open to circulate air during the summer. What do you guys think!?

2. Mychicagoladies

Mychicagoladies Out Of The Brooder

Nov 25, 2012
    We have harsh winters in Chicago so this year my new coop will be closed off on the back side and the other 3 sides will have plexi glass covering them except for the top 3 inches, I will leave that open for ventilation. Last year a few of my hens got a little frostbite on their combs. As long as they have shelter they will cuddle up together to stay warm, but make sure they are also getting the ventilation they need.

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG] when you close the flaps in colder weather be sure you still have ventilation in the coop otherwise all the heat chickens generate will cause condensation & frostbite.

1 person likes this.
  4. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    Welcome to BYC!

5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC. Keep the coop dry and well ventilated, and your chickens should be fine.

6. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Howdy, auxranch, and [​IMG]! Pleased you joined us! Few words bring a smile to my face faster than "heading into fall." My favorite time of year!! X2 on drumstick's and sourland's advice. Good luck to you!

1 person likes this.
  7. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by