HEADS UP AVIAN INFLUENZA ALERT

Are your other birds still ok after you lost the one? AI doesn't necessariy show all the symptoms, sometimes sudden death is the only one. But if you haven't lost any more by now, I would think you could breathe a little easier.

Thanks for asking -- no other birds lost, just the one. I also read that often there is no noticeable symptom until the end. That matches the way Bazzy went out. She would just stand in one place and close her eyes. That is consistent with bird flu, too. Then she was dead. She was a beautiful and friendly RIR that laid the best eggs. I am still keeping a very watchful eye on the rest of the birds.

The spread of the H5 viruses has been unprecedented, and our goal is to protect the health of small, backyard poultry flocks as much as our commercial industry from this disease.”
Dr Marsh explained that BOAH plans to open a public comment opportunity in June to receive input from poultry owners and others about strategies to reopen public shows and sales.
“We are looking for ways to restore our public bird events in a way that will reduce or eliminate opportunities for disease to spread and threaten backyard flocks statewide."

This from Indiana State vet. I hope all the State vets approach this the way Dr. Marsh is.

The spread of the H5 viruses has been unprecedented, and our goal is to protect the health of small, backyard poultry flocks as much as our commercial industry from this disease.”
Dr Marsh explained that BOAH plans to open a public comment opportunity in June to receive input from poultry owners and others about strategies to reopen public shows and sales.
“We are looking for ways to restore our public bird events in a way that will reduce or eliminate opportunities for disease to spread and threaten backyard flocks statewide."

This from Indiana State vet.  I hope all the State vets approach this the way Dr. Marsh is.

Well, I know a state vet isn't looking for this kind of suggestion, but, BYC members might want to give it a try so...

I'm going to start adding the Master Tonic veggies to my birds mash. I made a batch of it a year ago and chopped up all the veggies in a food processor after straining the juice and stored them in a jar in the fridge. I'm not brave enough to eat them, just the smell will open you up. Swallowing the juice was more than enough for me! Dang, that was rough. But, anyway, I decided to see if the chickens would take a liking to the leftover veggie paste I I had, (it was just sitting there) so I would add a tablespoon or so of the processed veggies to their acv mash(mixed in) when I fed them and surprisingly, they ate it up. So, this stuff is supposed to cure anything you have, whether bacterial, viral, parasitic or fungal, so I'm making up some more and going to start adding some to their food for support and hopefully, prevention. If anything, it will probably take care of worms.:D

I'm in FL, I don't know what kind of risk I have. When you say you are bringing your birds in, do you mean in a barn or your house?

I'm in FL, I don't know what kind of risk I have. When you say you are bringing your birds in, do you mean in a barn or your house?

No they mean bring your birds under roof, so that they are not exposed to infected bird droppings. In a coop, barn, or covered run, where they have no exposure to people or other birds or animals that might bring in contamination. Really...I think it's kind of the luck of the draw, anyway. The other school of thought is that if your birds are free range, better to just leave them in the environment they are used to....as confining free range birds can lead to other illnesses and compromise of immune systems anyway. Whatever works best in each individual situation, is what you should do, imo.

Last edited:
Ok. Yeah I am making a covered run for mine out of necessity. We had a failed fox attack in our backyard so we have to make a run to keep them safe. They are in a little run now that is ok short term. We don't get too many birds. We had sandhill cranes but they haven't been in our immediate yard this year.

Just read in the news today that Ohio is still on high alert re the AI. It said in the article that in Darke County especially they are nervous. They are randomly testing backyard flocks, the article said. So be aware.
hmm.png

Back
Top Bottom