HEADS UP AVIAN INFLUENZA ALERT

The song birds are going to be there whether you feed them or not. As far as there not being an effective vaccine, actually they are working on one. Last I heard it was in testing stages.
X2
My place is covered with wild birds, song and otherwise whether I feed or not. I find feeding them on the opposite side of the property lessens them eating at the chicken feeders.
N5H2? Isn't that a non pathogenic strain? I thought it was the H5N2 that was being found in all these flocks. At least that is what is being reported, that the highly pathogenic strain is being found. I'm really confused now.

I think that was a typo. There is no N5H2.

Six new outbreaks suspected in Iowa

The Iowa Department of Agriculture and Land Stewardship reported on 6 May that it is responding to six probable cases of highly pathogenic avian influenza (HPAI) in commercial poultry farms:
  • Sioux county 5 - pullet farm with an estimated 100,000 birds.
  • Sioux county 6 - commercial laying operation with an estimated 100,000 birds
  • Sioux county 7 - pullet farm (number of birds pending)
  • O’Brien county 3 - backyard duck flock, tested as part of monitoring efforts around a previous confirmed case and found positive for H5N2 highly pathogenic avian influenza.
  • Sioux county 8 - commercial laying operation (number pending)
  • Sioux county 9 - commercial laying operation (number pending).
With the exception of the backyard flock, each farm experienced increased mortality and initial testing showed it positive for H5 avian influenza. Additional confirmatory testing is pending from the APHIS National Veterinary Services Laboratories (NVSL) in Ames.

hide.gif
sad.png

The disease has also affected five captive wild birds.

N5H2? Isn't that a non pathogenic strain? I thought it was the H5N2 that was being found in all these flocks. At least that is what is being reported, that the highly pathogenic strain is being found. I'm really confused now.

I think that was a typo. There is no N5H2.

I am like Will Rogers, the only thing that I know is what I read in the newspapers.

H5N2 is what the news media is reporting that is going around.

You can also read tons and tons of contradictory information on the net. It ranges all the way from wild waterfowl are falling from the sky by the flocks from H5N2, to ducks, geese, swans, etc. are immune from the effects of the H5N2 virus, to every bird on the planet is infected. Who's a poor old country boy to believe?

I included this link only because it is about an outbreak of H5N2 bird flu in North East Missouri that involved a backyard flock.

http://www.kwwl.com/story/28993740/bird-flu-virus-creeps-across-missouri-prompts-more-culling

There have definitely been cases of Bird Flu in both commercial and backyard flocks but I have not read of any chickens or turkeys dying from the effects. I must apologize in advance to one of my dear departed childhood friends who perused a carrier in journalism. Forgive me Robert! Ok, were was I? Oh, yea, there is not a profession in the United States of America that is lazier or dumber or that ignores the facts in a more blatant manor than a reporter a.k.a. "Journalist." I think that the reason that newspapers call the place where they archive their past editions a "morgue" is because unlike doctors journalist bury their successes along with their failures because after 3 days they both begin to stink. It's H5N2, and that is what I get when I write from memory with out checking and re-checking the facts. Sorry.

I await the next headline like the one in the link I provided with baited breath. Will it boldly shout, "The Bird Flu gallops across the Blue Grass State or will it proclaim, The Bird Flu timidly tip toes through Tennessee?"

Last edited:
I am like Will Rogers, the only thing that I know is what I read in the newspapers. 

H5N2 is what the news media is reporting that is going around.

You can also read tons and tons of contradictory information on the net.  It ranges all the way from wild waterfowl are falling from the sky by the flocks from H5N2, to ducks, geese, swans, etc. are immune from the effects of the H5N2 virus, to every bird on the planet is infected. Who's a poor old country boy to believe?

I included this link only because it is about an outbreak of H5N2 bird flu in North East Missouri that involved a backyard flock.

http://www.kwwl.com/story/28993740/bird-flu-virus-creeps-across-missouri-prompts-more-culling

There have definitely been cases of Bird Flu in both commercial and backyard flocks but I have not read of any chickens or turkeys dying from the effects.  I must apologize in advance to one of my dear departed childhood friends who perused a carrier in journalism.  [COLOR=FF0000]Forgive me Robert![/COLOR]  Ok, were was I?  Oh, yea, there is not a profession in the United States of America that is lazier or dumber or that ignores the facts in a more blatant manor than a reporter a.k.a. "Journalist."  I think that the reason that newspapers call the place where they archive their past editions a "morgue" is because unlike doctors journalist bury their successes along with their failures because after 3 days they both begin to stink.  It's H5N2, and that is what I get when I write from memory with out checking and re-checking the facts.  Sorry.

I await the next headline like the one in the link I provided with baited breath.  Will it boldly shout, "The Bird Flu gallops across the Blue Grass State or will it proclaim, The Bird Flu timidly tip toes through Tennessee?"

What bird flu are you referring to? The H5N2 or the mild American version N...something or another? I was under the impression the H5N2 was killing some birds.
Even if your birds test positive for exposure to the milder bird flu version, they still cull all your birds don't they?

What bird flu are you referring to? The H5N2 or the mild American version N...something or another? I was under the impression the H5N2 was killing some birds.
Even if your birds test positive for exposure to the milder bird flu version, they still cull all your birds don't they?

That is my understanding. Correct me if I am wrong.

New study shows bird flu virus can be spread in the wind

Researchers, led by Marcel Jonges at the Dutch Centre for Infectious Disease Control, have modelled the spread of avian flu viruses in the wind from infected poultry farms

Stay away. :( We are waaaaay too close to factory farm.

Last edited:
New study shows bird flu virus can be spread in the wind

Researchers, led by Marcel Jonges at the Dutch Centre for Infectious Disease Control, have modelled the spread of avian flu viruses in the wind from infected poultry farms Stay away. :( We are waaaaay too close to factory farm.
Modeled? Doesn't that mean make up something on the computer and try to state it as fact? If it's models, I don't think that proves anything. Would like to read the article though.

Back
Top Bottom