HEADS UP AVIAN INFLUENZA ALERT

There is no "basic summary" of this thread, beyond what "thegawd: posted. This is a thread where we share lots of different information and updates about the virus. If you want to be well informed, you read the whole thing. I think everyone can say they're plenty busy.

Last edited:
Just curious what precautions the feed producers are taking, if any? I mean, they get their grain from all over...at least Purina does.

There is no "basic summary" of this thread, beyond what "thegawd: posted. This is a thread where we share lots of different information and updates about the virus. If you want to be well informed, you read the whole thing. I think everyone can say they're plenty busy. No one needs to be rude. Thanks.

Really, I just want to know what's important to keep my flock and family healthy.

As for rudeness? Yeah, I agree...no one needs to be rude. I'm a bit surprised at the initial response.

I was glad to learn that the factory farm we have locally is taking this more than seriously. All visitors banned except those absolutely necessary. ALL vehicles are sprayed with disinfectant upon entering and leaving, not just the delivery trucks. Same with pedestrians and shoe sanitizing. They have their parking lots cordoned off and are enforcing strict entry access.

Really, I just want to know what's important to keep my flock and family healthy.

As for rudeness? Yeah, I agree...no one needs to be rude. I'm a bit surprised at the initial response.

That's what we all want. There's tons of information on line re keeping your flock healthy, as has already been said. This thread is for updates and other important information that people might not hear otherwise. We want to keep hard feelings out of this. Everyone has something to share, or need to know. Peace, y'all.

Last edited:
That's what we all want. There's tons of information on line re keeping your flock healthy, as has already been said. This thread is for updates and other important information that people might not hear otherwise.
Forgive me for asking.

Seriously...I feel like I stumbled onto the Heritage Purebreed Chicken forum where anybody who dares call a cock a "rooster" is ridiculed and run off.

I spend enough time on this internet as it is, taking care of other things that have to be taken care of. I hear enough from my husband, "You're on that stupid thing AGAIN" as if I'm sitting here playing tiddlywinks, Farmville or other online games (for the record, I have never played Farmville).

Folks here are concerned about the health of backyard flocks. You are all sharing information...yet when somebody fairly new to the hobby swings in and asks for a brief synopsis of how to protect their backyard flock...you act all indignant. Is it some kind of trial by fire to read through all 27 pages to glean the info I am looking for? Does that procure acceptance here or something?

Thanks to the one poster who took time to link important information for me, so I didn't have to sift through pages and pages of who's flock has the latest outbreak and how many turkeys so far have died.

thegawd said something interesting. He thinks the industrial poultry sites are giving the flu to the wildlife birds and the wildbirds are getting blamed for it.
Very interesting.....

thegawd said something interesting. He thinks the industrial poultry sites are giving the flu to the wildlife birds and the wildbirds are getting blamed for it.
Very interesting.....

I could certainly see that happening. I've also wondered about songbirds in the grain elevators.

Back
Top Bottom