HEADS UP AVIAN INFLUENZA ALERT

That's the scary part. It doesn't say that farm was infected, just nearby.

yeah. One of my points exactly. These people are going way overboard.
sad.png

My birds seem ok, but I've read that some birds don't give symptoms

If I was you, I wouldn't test anything. If they have no symptoms, why bring in the gov't and call attention to yourself? It can't come to any good, IMO. If you are close to someone who is under suspicion of the disease, they may kill your flock, no matter what the test says. Seriously, no symptoms probably means they're fine. Use good, tight biosecurity, hunker down and wait it out. If they show symptoms of something, cull them and burn the bodies.

Get some of this, tablets each make one pint of strong disinfectant. I use it (as well as Oxine, but this is cheaper shipping, being tablets) for folks to spray their shoes when they come here. Spray yours if you go into a feed store, especially, and wear dedicated chicken shoes that you don't wear off your property, too.

ETA: Folks, DON'T PANIC! I've watched people on a Kentucky swap thread that attaches to a local swap Ladyhawk belongs to panic over every little sneeze. They yell, "BIRD FLU, OMG!" every time a chicken looks funny. Common sense needs to prevail. We have these scares every couple of years. Most birds affected are commercial flocks, monocultures, where disease will naturally spread like wildfire. If you haven't practiced good biosecurity, find out what that is and DO IT. This is as good a time as any to start sensible management practices.

Last edited:
If I was you, I wouldn't test anything. If they have no symptoms, why bring in the gov't and call attention to yourself? It can't come to any good, IMO. If you are close to someone who is under suspicion of the disease, they may kill your flock, no matter what the test says. Seriously, no symptoms probably means they're fine. Use good, tight biosecurity, hunker down and wait it out. If they show symptoms of something, cull them and burn the bodies. Get some of this, tablets each make one pint of strong disinfectant. I use it (as well as Oxine, but this is cheaper shipping, being tablets) for folks to spray their shoes when they come here. Spray yours if you go into a feed store, especially, and wear dedicated chicken shoes that you don't wear off your property, too. ETA: Folks, DON'T PANIC! I've watched people on a Kentucky swap thread that attaches to a local swap Ladyhawk belongs to panic over every little sneeze. They yell, "BIRD FLU, OMG!" every time a chicken looks funny. Common sense needs to prevail. We have these scares every couple of years. Most birds affected are commercial flocks, monocultures, where disease will naturally spread like wildfire. If you haven't practiced good biosecurity, find out what that is and DO IT. This is as good a time as any to start sensible management practices.
Why because the bird flu is going around and I rather be safe then sorry. Also these are wild birds not mine. We have not seen this in all 18 years of being here, so yes something is going on so yes I WILL have them tested. I don't appreciate you saying what you said. If you do not like it then sorry, but it is MY choice and I'm going to do it! Have a blessed day!

Why because the bird flu is going around and I rather be safe then sorry. Also these are wild birds not mine. We have not seen this in all 18 years of being here, so yes something is going on so yes I WILL have them tested. I don't appreciate you saying what you said. If you do not like it then sorry, but it is MY choice and I'm going to do it! Have a blessed day!

Wow, just wow. That was really uncalled for. I was offering up what I (and many others) would feel is sound advice. Didn't tell you what you must do, only what I would do in your position for your flock's protection, but hey, got acid in my face. What I don't appreciate is someone saying "Have a blessed day" like a slap in the face, used like a verbal weapon. You do whatever you like with your chickens. No skin off my nose. Sheesh.
hmm.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom